Values in Hamlet & RAGAD?? (1 Viewer)

Langrepa

Patrick
HSC
Ive got this question that asks to contrast the values in 'Hamlet' & 'Rosencrantz & Guilderstern Are Dead'. What are the values in these two texts, and is there any information on them anywhere, or can anyone give a bit of an analysis on these values? i though i would only have to know context and the themes and ideas

Help??

N

Nicola1616

if you know the themes and ideas then the values aren't hard. A theme is a broader, overarching, umbrella sort of a notion so it may be sin and retribution, action vs inaction, love, death, sexuality, insanity, honour, family bonds - I don't know your texts that well but the idea is they (or whatever) are the themes then they are neutral headings for exporation. The values are conveyed through the action, characters etc and they are a much more personal reflection of the composer and in a broader sense - the times themselves. You ask youself "what about those themes does the composer clearly value?" Or "What does he reckon is good/the right thing to do/the right way to act/think about, say, honour?". The whole value thing is that while themes may be universal ie we never cease to be facinated by a particular theme, values change with time so Elizabethans may have 'valued' the notion that the heroic thing to do if a family member is killed is to exact vengence swiftly and decisively BUT while we may in a contemporary society (and contemporary theatre) still interested in the same 'theme' our values about it would have changed dramatically??
savvy? hope that helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)