• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Values reflect different contexts??!?!?! (1 Viewer)

rsingh

HSC
Hey guys, i NEED big time help with this question.

"How do Emma and Clueless reflect different contexts, and similar or different values?"

I have no idea.
I was going to start off with sometihng basic like the form (novel vs. film) and thus techniques reflect different contexts.

However, I was thinking about it. Isn't it ultimately the values imbued within each text that reflects the different contextS?

I'm kinda confused now.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

HSC
N/A
Perhaps.

But let's look at it this way. Text content: Woman beating up her husband.

Historical contexts: 18th century - woman gone mad, 1970s - gender equality etc etc

Whilst the text remains the same, our historical contexts are constantly changing, and so too are the beliefs, customs, language etc etc. As our historical contexts change, we will value things differently based on this "habitus" (set of learned beliefs/assumptions etc we carry around with us and apply to everything).

That being said, the historical contexts of an author influence what they write. Generally, they write for their audience - in the same historical context. And so, a lot of their beliefs/values are integrated into the text. Whilst they may not be interpreted the way the author intended, some are painfully obvious (eg sometimes you can tell if a move is from the 80s - you know?).

gloomy

moo
HSC
basically, with the change of contexts, certain values have changed and kept the same.
for example, in Emma, Marriage is seen as the ultimate goal and something everyone must do.
the context of Clueless has then changed marriage, shown by cher's dad's divorce...

i so just pulled that out of my ass.
PM me if you want some more in depth answers :p
ahaha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)