Vanity Fair (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Anyone else seen this film yet?

I saw it today, and as someone who read the book I kind of had mixed feelings about the film. As a stand alone film, it was ok, but in comparison with the book it really missed a lot of Thackeray's main points and social satire. I think this was largely due to the fact that the book is extremely long and the film couldn't have gone close to including the majority of the plot.

The bollywood theme that ran through it was a bit different.... in some ways it was justified (European colonialism/orientalism was a part of the era) but sometimes it was excessive.

What did anyone else think that has seen it?

astro

HSC
planning to see it soon... stupid liverpool greater union isn't showing it....

laney

HSC
make sure you see the BBC production of Vanity Fair with Natasha Little as Becky Sharp. it's amazing. and i haven't seen the new one yet, but i'm sure the old 6 part series will kick it's arse.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I saw it, and it bored my brains out. Didn't my friends who watched it with me were totally uninterested and talked throughout the movie either. I haven't read the book,I hear it's quite intimidating a read, and I really don't have time for it at the moment, will give it a go in the holidays after War and Peace.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
i was watching 'at the movies' on the ABC with margaret and david and they said the movie only scraped the surface of billy thackery's 900 page novel - and that it would have been better suited to a series (i love the BBC!).

overall, i think the costumes and scenary were gorgeous - director, mira nair is one of my idols, shes so wonderfully articulate in her indian accent :) (anyone seen monsoon wedding?)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Costumes were wonderful, but Margaret and David were right it barely touched on the plot of the novel, missing many important themes... a miniseries would have been better. It even missed the main point of the book- that a life of vanity and pretention is not a fulfilled life....

laney

HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
C... a miniseries would have been better.
it *is* better though!, it's truely awesome. it's like the next best thing after pride and prejudice. go to your nearest library or abc store to get a copy!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)