Vietnam & Theories of Social Change (1 Viewer)

shcottie

HSC
Hey Guys,

I was wondering what theory of social change would fit in well when talking about Vietnam? I've studied alot about conflict theory but I'm not too sure if it works too well.....

Thanks heaps!

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
All three theories fit.

The conflict theory particularly because of Vietnams history of oppression and nationalistic tendancies that led to conflicts with / against the opressors to create social change.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
shcottie said:
Hey Guys,

I was wondering what theory of social change would fit in well when talking about Vietnam? I've studied alot about conflict theory but I'm not too sure if it works too well.....

Thanks heaps!
hey, i didnt do vietnem, but see if 'Functionislist theory' fits
the main endorsers are Talcott and Durkheim

Functionists argue that all parts of society have a fuction, as societies develop, these functions becoem increasingly complex and interdependent. Change occurs from either natural growth or external macro forces infringing on the system, in turn, impacting on the micro experience of the individual.
eg:
Westernization (an external macro force) impacted on japan leading to legislative changes within the japanese social system, leading to a new education system where it was compulsory for women to attend (micro experience)

As these changes are integrated into society, sociatal structures emerge or change to compensate, ensuring equlibrium is returned to and everyone accepts the new norms roles and values, usually the result of socialization.

If conformity is not reached, sociatal control mechanisms exist to restore consensus, eg: school, prison or even gossip. In this way the induvidual is re-educated or removed from the syste. Thus, change occurs slowly over time through cooperation.

hope it can be applied!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)