Viva Voce Help? (for small ensembles) (1 Viewer)

boredofkatie

HSC
Hi guys... :bomb:

I am in year 11 and have to do a Viva Voce for our current assessment. We were given our task notification and a booklet we are to use for our analysis of the music. We also have to hand in a one page summary of our topic; I assume this is similar to the sheet handed in when you complete your actual HSC.

Now I really have no idea what I'm doing. Our Viva is due on the second lesson of next term (next friday I think... oops) and our teacher really hasn't given us much information; as year 11 studens we've never done one before and as far as my class goes, well they're not the brightest bunch of students. My teacher on the other hand doesn't seem to be able to convey what she means properly and I haven't been able pick up much information from her. She would start to go through analysing music and telling us what to do then get sidetracked, I dont exactly know what I'm looking for in my pieces of music.

I was away the last week of term on an excursion and this was basically the only time we were given for any question asking and now that I have my questions, I have no way of asking her.

So honestly; what do I do? We were told to get started to just pick some music we like and analyse it, but I don't see how we choose repertoire and what not. I was thinking something along the lines of contrasting singer Pink's early music to her more recent stuff. Would this work? We were told we need about 20 exerpts of music, but how do I know what exerpts are good, and what ones aren't? Is it easier just to choose 4 or 5 songs, analyse those, and then pick several exerpts from each that convey my ideas the most?

I think perhaps I'm stressing a bit too much but I just want to check I'm on the right track because lately my enthusiasm for Music has gone down the drain. :mad1:

Thanks a lot to anyone who replies; I'll try to not ask so many questions next time :)

HSC
Hi guys... :bomb:

I am in year 11 and have to do a Viva Voce for our current assessment. We were given our task notification and a booklet we are to use for our analysis of the music. We also have to hand in a one page summary of our topic; I assume this is similar to the sheet handed in when you complete your actual HSC.

Now I really have no idea what I'm doing. Our Viva is due on the second lesson of next term (next friday I think... oops) and our teacher really hasn't given us much information; as year 11 studens we've never done one before and as far as my class goes, well they're not the brightest bunch of students. My teacher on the other hand doesn't seem to be able to convey what she means properly and I haven't been able pick up much information from her. She would start to go through analysing music and telling us what to do then get sidetracked, I dont exactly know what I'm looking for in my pieces of music.

I was away the last week of term on an excursion and this was basically the only time we were given for any question asking and now that I have my questions, I have no way of asking her.

So honestly; what do I do? We were told to get started to just pick some music we like and analyse it, but I don't see how we choose repertoire and what not. I was thinking something along the lines of contrasting singer Pink's early music to her more recent stuff. Would this work? We were told we need about 20 exerpts of music, but how do I know what exerpts are good, and what ones aren't? Is it easier just to choose 4 or 5 songs, analyse those, and then pick several exerpts from each that convey my ideas the most?

I think perhaps I'm stressing a bit too much but I just want to check I'm on the right track because lately my enthusiasm for Music has gone down the drain. :mad1:

Thanks a lot to anyone who replies; I'll try to not ask so many questions next time :)
Do you have the sheet music for Pink's music?
If you don't, it's gonna be really hard unless you have perfect pitch.

Other than that, talk about structure or form, key, chord progression, development sections, if it recapitulates, modulation, etc etc

Last edited:

boredofkatie

HSC
No, unfortunately I don't. Well, not anything that's legal anyways. Although I have all her albums and I've timed each section of the songs I've chosen so far. Our teacher would prefer us to use the CD player I think. And as far as I know I don't have perfect pitch, heh.

However I do like the idea of structure and form. I was thinking perhaps texture too since that is fairly easy to comprehend, and then I can touch on the other concepts from that.

Thanks very much though :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)