Viva Voce help (1 Viewer)

princesskt

HSC
Hey, I have mine on Monday. I've done nearly all of it, cept there's one thing I just need a bit of help with...

Explain what you have discovered about the nature of research and investigation in the medium you have chosen.....

Help plz :(

syera

HSC
N/A
hey i remember being confused about that point too when i had my vive voce last term. most of us just explained the challenges in relation to research - like i'm doing a critical, so i said that i learnt that research is one of the most challenging and difficult aspects as there is so much out there, therefore i need to be mindful in selecting what to use, but at the same time, most of the information is really broad, so i need to draw my own conclusions from various sources in relation to my critical.
hope that helps!

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
umm...
for the 'nature of research', i'd probably just go fora wanky answer that elaborates on how... as you research, you learn more and more, you discover new avenues that you had never considered, and thus have a wider nand more extensive range of material to incorporate within ur MW...[which would enrich ur work, blah blah..]
also how research is continuous... almost dichotomous.. one thing leads on to another....
and as for ur investigation into the medium..
for me.. i suppose thats 'research into the short story medium'....
so perhaps.. the more and more u research examples of texts within ur medium, the more you are exposed to varying techniques etc..
so thus by looking at other peoples and stuff.. u are then able to change and shift how you are going to approach ur work.

:) hopethat helps in some way.. [and is right :confused: ]
:eek:

princesskt

HSC
tehehe something is better then nothing... so thanks heaps!!! argh major stressing... :S its gotta go for 30 mins...

HSC
N/A
"investigation" is highly useful if you're doing something that involves "facts" (like historical features) or is based/heavily inspired by another existing "something" (novel, artwork, whatever).

To a lesser extent it's useful for gaining insights into your chosen medium. Not that we really NEED a "how-to-write" book to explain to us how important things like spelling and grammar is to readers, but apparently we need to anyway. :p

Also, the process of research itself can often act as a method of gaining new ideas or new perspectives on existing ideas you have. A bit like searching Wikipedia for "duck" and then researching the "whistling duck", and then thinking "zomg! Whistling ducks! They should be in a circus! ZOMG I'm going to write about whistling ducks escaping for a circus!" etc.

Good luck!

princesskt

HSC
Thanks so much, I know I sound like a dumbass bout this, but I aint good with things like this and I really really wanna do well. Thanks for all your help :D

idling fire

HSC
What I want to know is how we're supposed to answer any question they ask.
I can't think if I'm forced to forumlate any response verbally. I get asked a question and the majority of my vocabulary (which is somewhat limited to begin with) converts to "ummmmm". Mine's in a week or two (date unspecified) so if anyone has any illegal firearms, I volunteer as a shooting target.

princesskt

HSC
And Glitterfairy, glad u said all that :) coz i was going to talk about the books i had borrowed about my medium (short story) etc but i wasnt sure if it was appropriate under that question. :D:D

princesskt

HSC
idling fire said:
What I want to know is how we're supposed to answer any question they ask.
I can't think if I'm forced to forumlate any response verbally. I get asked a question and the majority of my vocabulary (which is somewhat limited to begin with) converts to "ummmmm". Mine's in a week or two (date unspecified) so if anyone has any illegal firearms, I volunteer as a shooting target.

argh im like that too. the worst thing with mine is... well they've given us a list of questions they are definitely gonna ask us which we can prepare. but theres still questions they are gonna ask we dont know about. we have to read out some of our story (we're both doing stories) and we arent allowed to take in any notes cept for the story. my answers will be... um well yes its connected to this course coz um.. its.. uhh... crime fiction and um during that study ive um learnt um.." lol so i have no idea how to answer either.. its only infront of the two teachers so i think what ill do is, they'll ask the question, ill take a deep breath, think quickly and um hope for the best :p:p sorry i cant help :( im not good with this :(

reallife1239

HSC
HEY,
Ive got my Viva Voce on Wednesday afternoon this week!!!! i am a little nervous but what i am mainly concerned with is whether or not to write out a speak and driect it to the panel in that form or just casually express how i am going? any thoughts or opinions? what are you doing?
With research, my medium is short story buti changed to that from critical, so i am discussing how i researched for both and how my skills of research i developed from critical have helped in the different medium.
i hope finish the major work soon... :bomb:
.......R.H.

princesskt

HSC
argh nerves all around hehehe.. i dun have any advice :( sorry :( ill see how i go 2moro and then ill let u know what NOT to do ok? :D

HSC
N/A
As for what kind of "language" to use:

In all honesty, I'd stick with what's comfortable. And by that, I mean make yourself sound like a human being as opposed to an essay-regurgitating machine. There's isn't enough time or "weight" in EE2 for you to use as many multi-syllable words as possible - they really need to hear the basic gist.

With research, my medium is short story buti changed to that from critical, so i am discussing how i researched for both and how my skills of research i developed from critical have helped in the different medium.
They are EXTREMELY likely to ask *why* you changed medium. I hope you're preparing for that question too!
I'm sure I've said this elsewhere, but back in my day my teachers gave us ONE yellow palm card and said that was the only thing we were allowed to bring into the room when we did our Vivas - emphasis being on speaking directly rather than coming in with a prepared speech. For all of it I spoke very casually, and found the whole process quite enjoyable (in fact I was greatly disappointed when time was up, I wanted to keep talking on and on and on about my work ;)). Most people say the same thing.

As for questions: Don't freak out about it :) This is not eng adv of EE1 where you're supposed to memorise a bunch of stuff and then regurgitate it. They're only going to ask you about your major work - stuff you can't possibly help but know inside out as you wrote it and researched for it entirely by yourself :)

princesskt

HSC
Thanks hey, well I didn't end up doing mine today though. The other girl was sick so it's on wednesday now ack

HSC
N/A
have you had a 'practice speaking' session yet? If not, open up a word file and list down a bunch of questions you think they're likely to ask (some samples should be in the Viva Voce sticky). Then, simply practice answering them out aloud one by one. It may feel icky the first time, but after the second and third run you should feel more comfortable speaking about your work :)

princesskt

HSC
Yeah I've done that :) Thanks. I was actually getting all excited doing it today but then one of the teachers was sick so now it's tomorrow :( argh I just want it over and done with lol.

greycats

Mister Monday
HSC
Mines on wednesday coming (9th).. Been starting to write it up and practice, looks like it's a lot like what my reflection statement will be like ;D

How do you think you went with yours princesskt?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)