Volume released question? (1 Viewer)

speersy

HSC
N/A
In the JRAHS HSC trial 2003

Calculate the volume of carbon dioxide released in the fermentation process when 2.75 grams of CO2 is released.
I was wondering since there is two moles of CO2, wouldn't u times the answer by 2?

speersy

HSC
N/A
could someone also please help me with this problem.

when determining say the pH of a H2SO4 solution we multiply the H+ concentraion be two as the acid is diprotic
how come then when determining the H+ concentration in citric acid witha Ph of 2.1 we don't divide the answer by 6?

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
You cant determine the H+ concentration of citric acid, it is a weak acid, you cant get asked that. you can only be asked to find a strong acid or OH- in a base.

VVoody

Nothing better to do ^_^
HSC
I'm not even sure we can be asked the OH- of a base...I think my chem teacher was saying how stupid it was that it wouldn't be asked o_O

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
its easy, if they say to determine the OH- concentration of say, NaOH, you just do
14 + log [H+] because [OH-] + [H+] = 14

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
I avoid James Ruse trials, they are generally way over the syllabus and ask questions that have been specifically taught in their classes. Better to stick to general papers like CSSA, ARC, Independant etc. and of course HSC papers :D

VVoody

Nothing better to do ^_^
HSC
Yea, I know that finding OH- is easy, but it's not specified that we need to know it in the syllabus. Obviously they seem to think it's too hard for us to comprehend such a concept...

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Tommy_Lamp said:
You cant determine the H+ concentration of citric acid, it is a weak acid, you cant get asked that. you can only be asked to find a strong acid or OH- in a base.
This years independent trial asked a quetion about that. However they gave you numbers, eg pH = 3, find hyrogren's etc

wind

HSC
Ruse trials are crazy!

Their mark allocations are so tight! A one mark question for a page of calculation lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)