• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Volunteering at Community Legal Centres (1 Viewer)

Beauregard

HSC
hey guys,

i was searching through the older threads but couldn't really find anything to answer what i wanted to ask, which is how do you go about approaching one of these community legal centres for the possibility of doing volunteer work? i'm sure some of you guys have done it, so any tips?

i did read on one of the older threads that these centres are usually full up when it comes to volunteers or they've already got a stack of people who've asked, but i thought i might give it a go anyway and try and see how it pans out!

any replies will be appreciated :)

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Re: Volunteering at Community Law Centres

I got my position by sending in a cover letter and resume. I basically treated the application process as though I was applying to Mallesons or something, and it worked.

But yeah, I was lucky because they didn't have any other volunteers at the time. If you're in/around Sydney I'm guessing the market would have a much greater level of demand.

hYperTrOphY

HSC

hfis said:
I got my position by sending in a cover letter and resume. I basically treated the application process as though I was applying to Mallesons or something, and it worked.

But yeah, I was lucky because they didn't have any other volunteers at the time. If you're in/around Sydney I'm guessing the market would have a much greater level of demand.
Are you able to give actual legal advice only being a student, or do you do administrative type work?

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A

I start in Dec, so I'll be able to give a proper answer then. In the meantime, I've been told by the principal solicitor that I'll be doing administrative-type work such as being a buffer between solicitor and client (for those who call in for telephone advice - if you've studied retainers and stuff you'll see why this is important), assisting in client interviewing, and general secretarial-type work. From what I hear of others who have had my position, the opportunity to give measured legal 'advice' does arise, but the students need to expressley state that they are not qualified legal practitioners and that they'll arrange a proper meeting with a solicitor to discuss the matter further.

But yeah, ask again in Dec. I'm sure I'll be full of stories :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)