• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

waivers (1 Viewer)

stepher

HSC
N/A
is it at all possible to try and get them to change a mark of 48 in comp115 to a 50? ive heard about "waivers" but im not sure hwat they are..
grr! if only id done an extra assignment, would not be having this problem!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Waivers dont change the marks, but they let you 'skip' the unit, or ignore the fact that you passed/failed/PC'ed a unit, and let you continue. So it will still show up as a PC on your transcript. You have to go to uni and apply for one... or there is a form somewhere on the website.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Or try and get a remark if you feel that the mark is unduly given

stepher

HSC
N/A
thanks MJ and ASYLUM.
you wouldnt happen to know if they give out waivers easily? i think 48 is ALMOST a 50.. but they might not think that.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
stepher said:
thanks MJ and ASYLUM.
you wouldnt happen to know if they give out waivers easily? i think 48 is ALMOST a 50.. but they might not think that.
i remember that sometimes the gap may actually be big. in psy222, for example, the lecturer said that people who just failed by a small margin actually got a raw score of say in their 30's. But thats just one example. might not be true for all units.

yellowbrick

HSC
N/A
stepher said:
thanks MJ and ASYLUM.
they grant waivers based on your gpa, it would help if you did well in your other subjects?

stepher

HSC
N/A
Cyan_phoeniX said:
i remember that sometimes the gap may actually be big. in psy222, for example, the lecturer said that people who just failed by a small margin actually got a raw score of say in their 30's. But thats just one example. might not be true for all units.
ohhh. damn!! why why why did i not do one more assignment. now i have to redo it in summer school (if they even offer it.. knowing my luck.. most probably not!!)

jinghuang

HSC
N/A
stepher said:
is it at all possible to try and get them to change a mark of 48 in comp115 to a 50? ive heard about "waivers" but im not sure hwat they are..
grr! if only id done an extra assignment, would not be having this problem!
yep, waiver doesn't mean that you can change your mark, but it may ignore the fact that you got a PC and let you continue. I think you need to fill in a form and to see what happens. Any way, god bless you, my friend.

stepher

HSC
N/A
jinghuang said:
yep, waiver doesn't mean that you can change your mark, but it may ignore the fact that you got a PC and let you continue. I think you need to fill in a form and to see what happens. Any way, god bless you, my friend.
lol. thanks.. ill look on the website if they have it.. otherwise ill go in and get one.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
AsyLum said:
Or try and get a remark if you feel that the mark is unduly given
Do they ever change the mark tho? I'm still a bit uncertain abt one of my marks, but i dun really hav ne evidence to suggest otherwise, so i dunno if a remark would really do nething...

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Id say only in very serious cases, since re-marks could work in favour or against you, since it'll be more scrutinised.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
O ok...it was only bcos in all my assessments i was averaging credit, but my final mark ended up being a low pass. I kno i didnt do that well in the final exam, but still, i didnt think it would pull my mark down that much!

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
i was thinking the same... for one of my subjects the two assessments i got credit and distinction... but then exams i only got a high pass... 63 i think
exams worth 75% do i even stand a chance of getting it upped 2 marks?
damn you uni, so stressful

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
what could your reasons be for applying for a waiver?

does it work for core units?

i dont need one, just wondering ...

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
i'm kinda lazy to search for this wavier thinies, wat is it about? like who can get this thing? Under/Postgraduate?

PS: No need to reply if u dont have the time for this :p

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Taken from here.

How can I apply for a waiver?

To apply for a waiver, you will need to complete an Application for Special Approval (Waiver). This can be collected from the Student Enquiry Services at Lincoln Building Level 1. An Online Waiver Form is also available.

When this has been completed, submit the waiver to the appropriate Department for signed approval.

I have submitted my waiver form, how do I check whether it has been approved?

You can use eStudent to check if your waiver has been approved and entered into the system. If you are eligible to enrol, then click on the 'ENROL Here' menu. You can then select 'CHECK Waiver Approvals'. The main eStudent screen will display all the waivers that have been approved and entered.

NOTE: There may be a time delay between when waivers are approved and when they are entered into the system.

Students who do not have access to the 'ENROL Here' menu should check with the appropriate Department.

Taken from ACCG FAQ.

Department Rules on Waivers
1. In recent years the University has moved to offer all core accounting units in both semesters. This provides greater flexibility to accounting students enrolled in the BCom programs and enables students to progress more quickly than previously. However it will not always be possible for students to be able to complete a 3 year degree in the designated timeframe should they fail a unit.
2. Waivers are never automatically granted. Waivers are only granted in exceptional circumstances. Students need to state a strong case for a waiver to be granted.
3. Waivers which have been rejected will not be accepted for consideration a second time.
Common Reasons for rejection of waivers
1. Students have not satisfied the pre-requisite requirements – The default decision is to reject the waiver unless reasons can be given for its acceptance. It is the responsibility of the student to justify why a waiver should be granted rather than the responsibility of the department to justify why a waiver was rejected.
2. Students wish to ‘fast track’ their degree and finish earlier - Students who undertake summer school units in order to graduate earlier cannot use this as justification for the granting of a waiver in a unit. Students are reminded of the official 3-5 year scheduled timeframe for completion of the undergraduate single/double degree.
3. Students do not have a strong GPA score - Waivers will never be granted to students who have weak GPA scores or who do not have, in the judgment of the Undergraduate Program Director, the individual capability to undertake the unit which the wavier is being sought.
Last Updated: April 4th 2005.

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
kool thx Asylum, though i don't need it atm, but good to know it... so there's a limit 3-5yrs to complete a degree or a double? Apart from parttimes rite?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)