Wanna See HECs fees eliminated (1 Viewer)

patlaw

HSC
People get membership to this sight to achieve a greater UAI. But getting a good UAI doesn't mean you can just go to uni. You have to afford it. I am one of the people who might not go to uni because of the cost but i will prob (fingers crossed) get a competitve UAI.

I know we all have the conception that the Greens are tree huggers but think about this. They are standing to eliminate the HECS fees if they are elected. Now we gotta be realistic and say that they're not gonna get in. But if they get significant support the assholes in the Coalition and Labor might turn their heads and change their policy, eliminating HECs. We do have a powerful vote if you are now eligible to vote. For the sake of an educated future Australia with tertiary education ... think wisely this election.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
HECS really is necessary.... though I just wish they wouldn't havae increased it. At least you can pay it off after uni, so that means really that anyone who gets the necessary UAI should be able to go to uni.

patlaw

HSC
I think your missing my point guys. I agree there is no way we could have tertiary education schemes without fees but if our leaders and other politicians put more emphasis on the future and not what will get votes now we might have a chance. Subsidising teritary eductaion is the way to go. What i am saying is that if we could make HECS and affordable universities an important current election issue, which i know isn't possible, there might be a chance of affordable unis.
It really pisses me off that it will cost as much as it does to fulfill my dreams and the same for everyone else in similar situations to me.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
patlaw said:
I think your missing my point guys. I agree there is no way we could have tertiary education schemes without fees but if our leaders and other politicians put more emphasis on the future and not what will get votes now we might have a chance. Subsidising teritary eductaion is the way to go. What i am saying is that if we could make HECS and affordable universities an important current election issue, which i know isn't possible, there might be a chance of affordable unis.
It really pisses me off that it will cost as much as it does to fulfill my dreams and the same for everyone else in similar situations to me.
What do you mean by "subsidising teritary education"? Teritary education is subsidised look at full fee payment compared to HECS.

patlaw

HSC
Sorry Xayma, i didn't explain what i meant to say very clearly. I just think that everybody should be able to go to university and not spend the rest if their life recovering the debt. HECs should be FURTHER subsidised. Why should the less fortunate be excluded?

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
patlaw said:
Sorry Xayma, i didn't explain what i meant to say very clearly. I just think that everybody should be able to go to university and not spend the rest if their life recovering the debt. HECs should be FURTHER subsidised. Why should the less fortunate be excluded?
they shouldnt be excluded- its not fair

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
It isnt that large a debt. Much less then say a mortage, and the degree gained will over time most likely give you more money then any debt/lost time working would take away.

patlaw

HSC
Forgive me if i'm wrong but I think u, like me, are one of the fortunate ones to see life from just one side of the coin like that. The more people there are with tertiary education the better for the economy. This means we need people of less fortnate demographics to get the uni qualifications. But thise people may be taking out loans in the first place for accommodation at uni. Not everybody is spoonfed money from mummy and daddy. They gotta work bloody hard for it.

I don't know what it is you plan on doing at uni or what u r doing but not all degrees mean big money. Mortgages aren't all massive and if anyone plans on just getting a massive mortgage and paying it off forever ... good luck.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
patlaw said:
I think we're lucky enough in Aus that we have HECs, we should just be grateful for what we have. Go to third world countries and you'll have to bribe and barrage your way through uni. Much more unpleasant.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
As much as I'd like to see HECS abolished I know it never will. The uni's rely to heavily on it. The govt. can't subsidise any more than they already have. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they pay over half of it already. If you can't afford the accomodation on Campus, why don't you move into a shared house or go to a Regional Uni? Its easier and much more relaxed...and the SDtudent to teacher ratio is excellent. Just an idea!

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
1. HECS is a good system, which other countries (like America) don't have. Don't bag the system out, the fees are at a resonable level.

2. Lower fees won't get you a place at uni. Lower fees = more people going to uni = less spaces.

3. HECS need only be paid back once you earn a certain amout of Ca$h. This means that the goverment "garuntees" you a job, by agreeing to foot the bill if you don't. I think that is a pretty good deal ...

HSC
Access to University is definitely a problem, but I'm not convinced that HECS really plays a significant role in the process. Seeing as it can be completely deferred, I'd think that the barriers which need to be dealt with are more likely to be in the form of up-front fees, and then other issues like accessibility.

These are far more significant than HECS, in my opinion at least, simply due to the fact that I think most people will be able to deal with the HECS debt later on if they're keen, whereas these issues pose real problems in attaining entry to a University in the first place.

santaslayer

HSC
I am in complete reason with me learned and noble board members, both McLake and ogmzergrush. :p

McLake has effectively addressed the thread starter's concerns whilst ogmzergrush has proposed a different light on the problem, and that is the issue of upfront fees. Upfront fees are in fact, the greatest culprits to constraining ones accessibility options of tertiary education.
What I must raise is also, that there are other avenues for the finacially disadvantaged to gain places at university such as scholarships for the financially needy and lower required UAI's for certain groups to help remedy the current problem.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i say vote democrats and keep the bastards honest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)