• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

want to do magazine journalism - uts or usyd??? (1 Viewer)

gemsiekins

HSC
N/A
I'm wanting to get into magazine journalism as a career and I've pretty much decided to go with the journalism course at UTS. However the prestige of USyd is also making me think maybe the media & communications course would be a good idea to consider.... gaaaah! which one?? of course a specific journalism course would probably be better, but sydney is alluring as well!:uhoh: haha i probably just wanna go there because it's sydney...

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
my boyfriend wants to get into USYD for journalism too, but he is afraid he wont reach the high UAI for the course
I think USYD will be a better course for journalism

spence

HSC
From what I've heard, UTS seems the better option by far, apparently they're second only to CSU for journo

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Usyd for prestige in media/communication? Hahaha..good one.

Oh you were serious.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
AsyLum +5 non-existant reps. hahahaha

gloworm14 said:
my boyfriend wants to get into USYD for journalism too, but he is afraid he wont reach the high UAI for the course
haha.... moron.... please justify. no really, i want to hear the backing that may help the OP realise why one course is better than the other.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
BigPole said:
You're always rude and spiteful, if you don't have anything remotely constructive to say then really shut the fuck up. The person asked a genuine question and you're quick to pounce on them, do yourself a favor and seek a life, thanks, buh-bye.
I thought I'd be civil, but fuck that.

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. I'll treat you no differently in real life than online, being an idiot extends far beyond the virtual or physical worlds.

As for you, oh shining white knight of the Internet, maybe you should, you know, get off these forums before you accuse someone of needing a life. Irony ahoy!

Last edited:

BackCountrySnow

HSC
I've heard UTS is really good when it comes to media/communications/journalism.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Tis, and she should stick with her original opinion, not go to Usyd cos it looks pretty :|

BackCountrySnow

HSC
yeah, you have to admit though, It's a bloody nice campus. Sandstone, scissor trimmed grass and Dr. Karl.....

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha, personally I dislike it, especially those awful old wooden pews they have for lecture halls, and the steep angles in them. I'd rather the soothing mood lighting of X5B anyday.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
Haha, personally I dislike it, especially those awful old wooden pews they have for lecture halls, and the steep angles in them. I'd rather the soothing mood lighting of X5B anyday.
hater :p I have very few lectures with wooden seats :) At least the wooden seats keep you awake

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It was a bad experience when I sat in on my friends education lecture, left me scarred haha

Matt Samson

HSC
gemsiekins said:
However the prestige of USyd is also making me think maybe the media & communications course would be a good idea to consider....
Perhaps you should go and ask an editor about whether they give a damn about "prestige" when it comes to journalism.

Matt Samson

HSC
gloworm14 said:
I hope he chooses to go there, because it'll mean less competition for the graduates of Journalism at UTS and CSU in this extremely competitive industry :D.

Around 300 openings a year in the industry.

Matt Samson

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
I've heard UTS is really good when it comes to media/communications/journalism.
UTS and CSU are the best when it comes to communication degrees...... much much better than uSyd.

For example, here at little "CSU", we just had one of the Fairfax Training Editors giving our tutorials. It was great having someone there in our little class of 20 students giving our two hour tutorials for the first three weeks, traveling every week from Sydney just to teach us.

She'll be one of the people in the future (when we graduate) choosing who will get a traineeship at Fairfax.

It is great having School of Communication staff members with all these industry contacts.

Sometimes it is much better going to a "smaller" university where the School of Communication academics (I use the term academic loosely because they're really not academics in the true sense) are from the industry.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
UTS and CSU just tick the boxes better from memory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)