wanting a change... (1 Viewer)

elisabeth

HSC
I want to quit my job at Best & Less and work somewhere else...

- serving customers on registers
- talking to kids coming into the shop

HATE
- being "store greeter" (you know, the poor mofo you ignore when you walk into a shop?)
- folding piles of clothes only to have the immediatly mucked up

Can anyone reccommend good areas to work in? Small clothes shops/fast food/restaurants/supermarkets or the like. In particular, is being in fast food as crap as people make it out to be? Does it get very hot if you're out back cooking?

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
elisabeth said:

HATE
- being "store greeter" (you know, the poor mofo you ignore when you walk into a shop?)

Can anyone reccommend good areas to work in? Small clothes shops/fast food/restaurants/supermarkets or the like. In particular, is being in fast food as crap as people make it out to be? Does it get very hot if you're out back cooking?

oportos erina fair is looking, as is my work :p

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
was jus thinking.. if u like talkin to kids n serving customers.. why dont u work in a toy shop? i dont know if thats the general age of kids you like to talk to but it was just a passing idea....

kirabolton

HSC
hahahaha you WANT to work on registers? YOU LIKE kids? Mwahahahahah... so did i for the first couple of hours, then i discovered most children are brats.

Lou_86

pro procrastinator
HSC
hmm maybe apply for coles myer?? althou that does take awhile.. working at fast food places out back arent hot at all, its more if ur working on register with fries....out the back is definitely better - from my opinion anyways!!

otherwise id say to walk around shops in ur area u would like to work in and chuck them ur resume, even if they havent advertised anything...should get something!!!

goodluck mate!!

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
elisabeth said:

HATE

Haha yes B&L sucks aye? I hated the store greeting thing and sorting out all the sizes... annoying.

My brother who has worked in the cooking says it sucks... Toys R Us might be an idea?

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
ER at toys r us is pretty crap.. we did it as a case study in business (the one at parramatta) and turnover is like over 30% and morale is pretty low.. but yeh it could be enjoyable depending on what u look for in a workplace
i work on checkouts at woolies and heaps of families come shopping.. all kids love coming to the shops
i tend to talk to about 10 a day.. most of them are a bit aggro cuz they dont get some kind of treat but you can try to cheer them up

em_516

bludging..
HSC
my brother's mate used to work at toys r us and he said it was crap..i don't know any details sorry lol..but yeh..i wouldn't try there unless you're getting desperate..

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Someone I know from uni works at Toys R Us and she said it was pretty crap.

Food shops are FINE!!! Anyone that says working in food is hell is an idiot, it's totally fine. Sure you could get the odd one that is shit to work at, but most of it is fine.

Try retail stores at your local shopping centre.... or food stores. Sometimes food stores are just looking for a cashier and you don't even have to do much food handling.

waterfowl

HSC
Anyone who says food is fine must have worked in a very laid back store, or must have been out of it when they were working.
I worked at Subway and you are ALWAYS working; if it's not serving the bitchy customers who are so impatient, it's cleaning all the crap that accumulates over the lunch rush in the back which the air-con would never work, or you are restocking food/drinks.

Work in a toy store.

Unfortunately if you work in anything that has to do with customers, you will find that all the trouble you put into putting things in order will be useless only moments after you finish. So you won't escape that dislike.

Any job gets hot if you are doing lots of work, even serving customers at the register; unless you are standing right under an air vent (that works).

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I have worked in my parents business and it is not laid back. For starters I work 12 hour shifts... we are busy all the time. There is stock to be cut in industrial food processors, pastry to be made, food to be prepared and cooked, heavy lifting of stock and food, cleaning massive dirty pastry tubs, doing all the dishes, cleaning up after drunk people (our store opens at 4pm and closes at 5.30am on the weekends), dealing with drunk people getting in to fights and having to call the police, dealing with drunk people full stop.... serving customers, handling money, cooking with the deep fryers (cleaning them is messy)...... there is also always cleaning to be done when you work in food. Other food shops I have worked in have been piss easy work compared to working for my parents.... and they weren't quiet stores either.

But it is FINE!!! And in my opinion, working in a place that is full on is so much better than working somewhere quiet and boring... the time passes so much faster when you are working hard and are busy.

Remember that you are paid to work for the entire time that you are at your job. Your boss doesn't pay you to stand around and talk. So you can't really complain about having to work when that is what you are being paid to do.

People that think working in food is hell or dirty or something that they are above deserve a kick up the ass.... if you are not above eating, then you are not above working in food. If you are being paid to work, then you shouldn't complain about having to work while you are at your job!

This week I worked on Friday from 6pm to 6am, on Saturday from 6pm to 6am and on Sunday from 3pm to 2.30am. And I survived. It's not that hard. Most people in food don't have to work such yucky hours anyway!

Sorry I just get sick of people whinging about working in food. I don't think some people know what hard work is sometimes!!! Food is fine and if you think otherwise you are just a whinger in my opinion.

waterfowl

HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
But it is FINE!!! And in my opinion, working in a place that is full on is so much better than working somewhere quiet and boring... the time passes so much faster when you are working hard and are busy.
Personally I'd rather quiet. I've found that time actually goes slower when working in busy rushes.

Sorry I just get sick of people whinging about working in food. I don't think some people know what hard work is sometimes!!! Food is fine and if you think otherwise you are just a whinger in my opinion.
I don't know if you were directing this at me but I wasn't whinging, and if someone dislikes working in food then maybe it's because it's not the work they like - you need to be passionate or have fun with what you do. And plenty of people know what hard work is, including me.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Sorry it wasn't directed at you... I've just heard too many people this week who have not worked in food talking as if they were somehow above it.... as if retail is more superior or something? It was just a general vent.

waterfowl

HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
Sorry it wasn't directed at you... I've just heard too many people this week who have not worked in food talking as if they were somehow above it.... as if retail is more superior or something? It was just a general vent.
LOL OK, yeh I hate people who think they're above food, I mean I hate it but it aint like I feel personally superior and believe that the food industry isn't worthy of me :p If you can't get a job elsewhere you should get any job you can.

elisabeth

HSC
Ranger Stacie said:
oportos erina fair is looking, as is my work :p
*prints off resumes* ;)

Thanks everyone. I'm gonna go looking around after school tomorrow. Hopefully I'll find something and can pack in B&L. I've got a shift on Saturday which I'm -really- not looking forward too.. Wish me luck!

Edit: I tried Toys r us a while ago... I thought it'd be a mad work environment, but they're not hiring till september next year!

Last edited:

SipSip

HSC
N/A
What age kids?

Work in a toy store or something...

Or just coles...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)