• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Weird Beeping (4 Viewers)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
My dad recently installed a new CDRW into his work computer *I knew I shouldnt have let him done it* I went to test it today and when you turn it on nothing comes up on the screen and the computer omits a frequent beeping sound...what could be wrong with it...did he maybe leave something loose???

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Take it out and see if everything is ok. He may not have plugged in the cables correctly.

cyrax83

discrete is killing me :(
HSC
he might have fudged up the motherboard / cpu / video card / ram when installing the cdrew, hence nothing coming up on screen.

try remove the cdrw and see if it that works, if it doesnt u've screwed something.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Yeh I think this time I'll pull it apart, I am usually the one that deals with the hardware...I think he may have been a bit rough with it...he probably made something loose...

Adrian.

HSC
Beeping, depending on the frequency, usually means the RAM or Video Card aren't working. They could have been bumped a bit out of place or could have been broken while he was installing the CD drive.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Adrian. said:
Beeping, depending on the frequency, usually means the RAM or Video Card aren't working. They could have been bumped a bit out of place or could have been broken while he was installing the CD drive.
Since nothing shows up on the monitor i'd say RAM...I'll have to take a took tho

Adrian.

HSC
melsc said:
Since nothing shows up on the monitor i'd say RAM...I'll have to take a took tho
Since nothing shows up on the monitor I'd say it's the video card. Is it one beep or a series of quick beeps or a series of slow longer beeps? Check your mainboard manual for an explination of the beeps. If you don't have it go to the makers website.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Really coz the computer wont even boot up its a series of quick beeps, I'll ahve to take a look at it...but right now I cant be bothered to pull it apart, I think i'll do it in the morning

THANKS for all ur help guys

HSC
Alot of motherboards still show a sign too distuingish whether video card or RAM is dead, if you can't see anything on the monitor i'd look at the video card first.

First things first, unplug the monitor cable in from power AND cord in the back, it may sound silly but I thought my video card was dead and all I did was replugin in the power and it worked fine.

If no luck (probably wouldn't), try this;
Make sure when you open everything up to unplug the power from the back, and then touch the power supply (supposedly grounds you), now unplug whats at the back of the video card, open up your case and if you feel confident doing this;

firstly get a screw and unscrew the screw holding the video card onto the metal case framework, then gently pull the video card out, you can do this by just grabbing metal bit on the side, and the other side grab the flat circuit board, now in a FLAT manner, pull, you can gently pull by just pulling out small amounts from left hand side then right hand side alot of times

examine the card, if you see any burn marks, try to spin the fan with your finger(if there isnt any dont worry), if there's a heat sink blow on it if there's any dust, make sure everything looks alright (just see if capacitors are in tact etc..)

place the card right back in the same way and put the screw in, and put the case back, the monitor back and try again

faulty ram for example on my system still boots up onto at least bios and tells me, OR what im assuming everyone saying it being either RAM or video card, could be the beep code, what motherboard do you have on that computer?

you can always call a computer tech but they charge alot, i can trouble shoot it for free if you want, but you bring it too me

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Casmira said:
Alot of motherboards still show a sign too distuingish whether video card or RAM is dead, if you can't see anything on the monitor i'd look at the video card first.

First things first, unplug the monitor cable in from power AND cord in the back, it may sound silly but I thought my video card was dead and all I did was replugin in the power and it worked fine.

If no luck (probably wouldn't), try this;
Make sure when you open everything up to unplug the power from the back, and then touch the power supply (supposedly grounds you), now unplug whats at the back of the video card, open up your case and if you feel confident doing this;

firstly get a screw and unscrew the screw holding the video card onto the metal case framework, then gently pull the video card out, you can do this by just grabbing metal bit on the side, and the other side grab the flat circuit board, now in a FLAT manner, pull, you can gently pull by just pulling out small amounts from left hand side then right hand side alot of times

examine the card, if you see any burn marks, try to spin the fan with your finger(if there isnt any dont worry), if there's a heat sink blow on it if there's any dust, make sure everything looks alright (just see if capacitors are in tact etc..)

place the card right back in the same way and put the screw in, and put the case back, the monitor back and try again

faulty ram for example on my system still boots up onto at least bios and tells me, OR what im assuming everyone saying it being either RAM or video card, could be the beep code, what motherboard do you have on that computer?

you can always call a computer tech but they charge alot, i can trouble shoot it for free if you want, but you bring it too me
awwww ur sweet b ut I can fix it myself I hope :p. I think my dad said he's gonna open it now... he tells me the new CDRW was a lil long for the tower *its and old really compact one* so he pushed it in *rolles eyes* no biggie...its only the computer the kids play on at his work

HSC
concetrate on video card / RAM ;D if you got no vision on monitor it doesnt matter if your CD-RW is made of cardboard, it'll show screen at least

HSC
erm ... ive never had to really worry about oversized drives, unless you got one hell of an old CD-RW and a big motherboard, and some retarded port element design placement

but whatever you say, glhf and post back here for further help if you torch your computer ;D (jk)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Casmira said:
erm ... ive never had to really worry about oversized drives, unless you got one hell of an old CD-RW and a big motherboard, and some retarded port element design placement

but whatever you say, glhf and post back here for further help if you torch your computer ;D (jk)
Its just a tiny case...trying to be stylish think its only a 500mhz processor, windows 98 and watever...but I'll def post back when I have had a look inside :D *or have thrown it out onto the mainroad and run over it*

HSC
WINDOWS 98!?

500mhz!?

man you are cruel, my slowest machine is 350mhz and i still have blessed it with windows XP! (192mb SD ram)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Ok, so I opened it up and everthing looked fine, still I check the ram and the Video card must be onboard coz the only thing in the PCI slots is an old 56kb modem...agter fiddling a bit nothing worked, however once I put the old broken one in, it could boot up.

The only conclusion I can draw from this is that the new CDRW is too powerful to poewr up bcoz its like (56X24X56) whereas the old one was MUCH slower and the one that it replaces ages ago was like 8X5X1) so am I right in thinking I need to get a slower CDRW?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I dont think that the hardware would use such a different amount of power, if anything the older one would use more.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
your daddy could have fried the motherboard with static when he opened it up :)

maybe you should check the error message of the beeping frequency with the motherboard manual?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)