weird... (1 Viewer)

for evolution of language.
apparently, sam davis and heinmann textbook gives different definition on polymorphism and encapsulation......... reading just one book i get one concept and read the other i get another concept...can some one sort of explain to me?

and also, in sam davis, it was stated that event driven is different to object oriented, while in heinmann it says those to are exchangeable.....so ... which one should i go with...

SamD

HSC
N/A
Well I'd go with mine!

I know that in last year's HSC there was a question about describing the OO paradigm and many students incorrectly talked about Event Driven stuff and scored a big fat ZERO. They're just not the same thing. I'm sure there was a thread on this site about just this issue, not sure if its still here, maybe check it out.

Not sure what Alan Fowler's book says about encapsulation and polymorphism, but I'm confident that mine's correct!

grendel

day dreamer
HSC
N/A
i agree with samd.

i'v recently done courses on VB and Python (an OO language).

VB is event driven and while you can manipulate data say in an Access DB using VB, you don't get the power of an OO language where you can define classes and sub classes and get that inheritance thing happening.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Actually you will find that you can write your own classes in VB....but yea even then its not OO.

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
There's a glossary at the back of the syllabus
although it says that "these terms are provided to assist teachers to interpret the syllabus but are in no way intended for examination purposes"

It defines encapsulation as "the isolation of an object from its environment, so that changes to objects can be made without affecting other parts of the system, as logn as the interface to that object remains the same"

and polymorphism as "the conpcept thgat allows different objects to be used or presented in different ways at run time, depending ont he user's requirements at the time."

Which are pretty much the defintiions in SamD's book.

Sounds like good definitions to me. Wonder why they're not intended for examination purposes?

SamD

HSC
N/A
In the old 2 and 3U courses many students tended to regurgitate glossary definitions with little real understanding. I think the intention was to avoid this with the new courses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)