What’s the point? (1 Viewer)

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
If you can do something in medicine without bio; what’s the point in doing bio?
From what I've seen, a lot of first-year medical students who have done chemistry, biology and/or physics, express how Year 12 content is very similar to first-year university content or even second-year and third-year.

I've only taken first-year university statistics, but I can confirm that the content was extremely similar to Mathematics Advanced, as expected.

From this, I'm assuming that students, such as myself, would choose to do biology to have some sort of grasp of the content. I don't believe it's a matter of "what's the point of doing biology" but rather "should one do biology when they will learn it in university."

I guess that by doing Year 12 biology, you're setting yourself up for university without even knowing it unless you find out.

C_master

HSC
From what I've seen, a lot of first-year medical students who have done chemistry, biology and/or physics, express how Year 12 content is very similar to first-year university content or even second-year and third-year.

I've only taken first-year university statistics, but I can confirm that the content was extremely similar to Mathematics Advanced, as expected.

From this, I'm assuming that students, such as myself, would choose to do biology to have some sort of grasp of the content. I don't believe it's a matter of "what's the point of doing biology" but rather "should one do biology when they will learn it in university."

I guess that by doing Year 12 biology, you're setting yourself up for university without even knowing it unless you find out.
So does it mean that I can have a career in medicine even if I don't do bio? Coz I thought bio was compulsory for medicine

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Well I always thought that without bio it was impossible to do something medicine-related until recently
Uni should teach you everything you need to know about the course. So no bio isn’t vital to doing med but it is good prereq knowledge.

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
So does it mean that I can have a career in medicine even if I don't do bio? Coz I thought bio was compulsory for medicine
I thought Biology was compulsory for medicine too until I looked further into my course details.
If there's a certain university or degree you're after, just check the prerequisites as they might be the odd one out and require you to have completed Biology.

WeiWeiMan

HSC
iirc if there's a course that's a prerequisite for medicine, it's almost always chemistry and most if not all the undergrad medical schools have no prerequisites in terms of subjects (I think, don't quote me on that.)

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Can always take a bridging/summer course to catch you up on content

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)