What area in Ancient does everyone like studying??? (1 Viewer)

What region of Ancient History does everyone like?

• Egypt

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • Greece

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • Near East

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Rome

Votes: 15 23.8%

• Total voters

launcher169

Lord of Chaos
HSC
Heya all i am wondering what area everyone likes
looking at in Ancient

I really like looking at Rome
but i also admire Egypt (not as much as Rome)
I do like greece
not so much the near east tho!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
i always had a thing for rome myself, though of course there are some fascinating periods of Egyptian history - not too fussed on the ones we're studying in class unfortunately! mm, there are definately many interesting aspects of greek history - i just dont think that the ancient syllabus covers enough of the really interesting stuff though. I'll agree with launcher169, I'm not all that fascinated by the near east.

homestar

is the near east stuff to do with the vikings and that? if so that is not too bad. anyway how much stuff do you know about your prefered topics on ancient history?

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
Egypt and Rome!! yay (but we're not doing egypt at school :( )

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
we are doing egypt and greece at school ( i wanna do rome damn it!)

eygpt is the more interesting one ( to me)
although greece seems so much easier

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
we are doing egypt and greece at school ( i wanna do rome damn it!)

eygpt is the more interesting one ( to me)
although greece seems so much easier

Scotty Mate

Vikings tend to be medieval, and from Scandinavia.

Why did I pick the Near East? People who study the Near East are a far smaller candidature than those who study Greece/Rome/Egypt. At the Sydney Uni open day my friend and I were the only two in the room who had studied Ancient Persia. Therefore to a degree it makes you feel special studying it, because it is not so well-known.

I doubt anyone who has studied Ancient Persia as a historical period will find it uninteresting. The Persians controlled the largest land-based empire ever stretching from the Indus river in northern India to the mountainous regions of northern Greece, from the steppes of central Russia to northern Ethiopia. Goods were traded from as far away as Ceylon and Carthage. The Persians amalgamated a variety of different cultures into the empire - Babylon, Sardis, Memphis, Susa and Jerusalem were all regional capitals. Persians feature heavily and influence the Bible (Book of Ezra, Book of Nehemiah). They built monuments in Egypt, where they took on the pharonic title. Their capital cities of Persepolis and Pasargadae were amazing in their feats of engineering and architecture.

At the end of it all we study history not with an interest specifically in particular events, but rather hoping to understand how that event affected all that happened around it, and subsequently how it affected our world. The Persian Empire brought together a group of microcosms, and for a short time made a unified whole. The view a lot of people get of Persia is often very skewed towards the Greek angle (the majority of our sources for the Persian wars are Greek) and therefore the Persians are demotic tyrants who kill indiscriminately. People have an obsession with the Greek world and speak ad nauseum about the enlightenment of ‘Athenian democracy’ which was great if you were lived in Athens, were male, were a citizen and had enough money to be able to spend your days talking over issues. Such is the case with the majority of eastern (or unwestern) cultures, the Persians do not write stuff down as their Greek neighbours did. Many of the ruins of the Persian Empire still stand today in Iran, but are slowly being eaten away because of disrepair. During the ‘War on Iraq’ many priceless Persian artifacts were lost forever from Baghdad museum, itself situated not that far from the ancient city of Babylon. I think it especially interesting and topical today to study the Near East – whether it is Persia, Babylon or Assyria. It gives you an insight into a time when the Middle East was a very different world to today.

Well that's my opinion....

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Rome is full of (how does our teacher put in?) "dribbly old men."

Egypt all the way! It was all thanks to the study of Hatshepsut rather than NK Egypt. Hatshepsut...what a woman!

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
Mmm, yes Egypt is definitely the best in my class, but we're only doing Egypt and Greece so I'm not exactly coming from a broad perspective here. But the Egyptians were so fascinating, and i have to agree - Hatshepsut was an incredible woman.

launcher169

Lord of Chaos
HSC
tina_goes_doo said:
Rome is full of (how does our teacher put in?) "dribbly old men."

Egypt all the way! It was all thanks to the study of Hatshepsut rather than NK Egypt. Hatshepsut...what a woman!
i admire your perspective
but what can i say, even you would admire a
civilisation of "dribbly old men" than managed to
conquer and control most of the mediterranean
(including Egypt by the way) for over 400 years.

:)

launcher169

Lord of Chaos
HSC
paganinio said:
how about America? Aztec, Maya
The problem with that is that i dont think they are on the syllabus
If they were i would include it.

however i do conceed your point and i say this again
'To all who are upset because i did not put an important ancient civilisation on the poll, i sincerely give my apologies'

homestar

wait hatshepsut is a girl?!!! crap i thought she was a guy. oh well i still think the vikings,celts and pretty much all of the east has the best history. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)