What cation / anion tests must we know? (1 Viewer)

Giant Lobster

HSC
I have Ca, Ba, Fe, Cu and Pb for the cations
and NO3, PO4, SO4, CO3, Cl for the anions
these I can describe their qualitative tests

but I dunno any quantitative tests except for NO3, PO4 and atomic absorption spec for the cations... What are the quantitative tests for CO3, SO4 and Cl, and any others I need to know?

Then conq mentions the following cations:
Hg, Al, Cr, Cd, Zn do we also need to know these in details and their qual / quan tests?

Giant Lobster

HSC
are u sure? that seems so jackshit compared to the stuff they have in conq... and conq till havent mentioned anything about sulfates in fertilers yet. Damn. I thought fertilisers were stuff with phosphorus and nitrogen in it, like urea and ammonia.

spice girl

magic mirror
SO4 - weigh precipitate BaSO4
Cl - weigh precipitate AgCl
CO3 - (i) add known amt of excess HCl, (ii) boil gently to expel CO2, (iii) backtitrate with NaOH

idunno whether u need to actually "know" these

also u need to know NH4

kini mini

HSC
See attached document. Much less than what me and spice girl had to do last year, you lucky buggers :p

Giant Lobster

HSC
That was very helpful spice girl, thanks... i cant believe I didnt figure it out myself lol.. its just precipitating and weighing.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
hmmm...i only just noticed this, does the changes in the syllabus infer that we are not required to "know" the ions tests, being able to deduce their (non)presence from given data seemed 2 b good enuf... Oh well, its good knowin them neway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)