What do I doooooooo..... (1 Viewer)

lauren_carter27

Colossal Member
HSC
Okkkkayyyyyys I'm Yr 12 2004 & I currently have 12 units, and I'm thinking about dropping general maths bcoz it's has the lowest scaling of all my subjects and its my weakest subject coz I don't listen or concentrate in class coz its too easy...if that makes sense.......should I drop it or not, I get better marks in all my other subjects (4U English, Bio, Business St, French) and try a lot harder at them.....I need an unibias opinion!!!!! Pleeeaasseeeee....I was thinking of keeping it for half a term or so but maybe that's a waste of time I could be using 4 other subjects.....what do U think....?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I would say keep it. Maths is important. And general maths doesn't always scale real low, i was bludging around for the whole year averaging 50% for all my assessments and managed to get 77 in the hsc.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
If it's "too easy" maybe you should transfer to 2 unit maths which scales better, or drop it. But keep going for a term or 2, it won't kill you, especially if it's easy. I kept ecos until term 2 before i dropped that, it was easily my hardest subject, and I turned out fine.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
If it's "too easy" maybe you should transfer to 2 unit maths which scales better,
But if she is already in year 12 it will be a bit hard to catch up on a year of 2 unit work.

General maths really isn't that worthwhile-I did it in year 12 cos I figured it is best to do a maths course even if I hated it, but looking back-if you're not doing at least 2 unit maths then it's really no more worthwhile to do General than basically any other subject. So if you don't like it and think that it won't count to your UAI, then I see no real reason to keep it.
However-if you find it easy, then you can do well in it if you try to work harder in it, and it may actually help you get a higher UAI, despite the poor scaling. I got my highest UAI mark for General, and didn't have to work too hard in it, so for me it really worked out well.
I guess it boils down to how much work you are willing to do in it. If you don't think you will pick up in it, then I would say it's best to just drop it now and count your losses, but if you're not sure, then maybe try it for another term and then see where you're at.

Last edited:

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Yeah, we were always told by our maths teachers when picking subjects in year 11 that you could "Go down but not up"-as in, you couldn't move up to 2 unit. I don't know if thats so much as an BOS enforced rule though, more just common sense!

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
i'm pretty sure you can't move up to 2u maths because it is a completely different course to gen maths - adn you'll have all that work to catch up on!

i bludged a lot in general but i still managed to do pretty well for my overall mark, even after scaling. it's all up to you, but if it was me, i'd drop it :p though i guess you could keep it just to keep some maths fresh in your mind :)

good luck!

hereSIR

HSC
IF you are only doing 12 units, then why not keep the General maths since you find it easy anyway - (you will not need to spend too much time revising on the work to do well ).

Should always have some spare units on the side just incase.

On the other hand, If you are not listening or concentrating in class because it is too easy (- then what do you actually do in math classes????), if you are doing nothing then might as well drop it! No point wasting your time and other students time in there.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I am confused - if its too easy then why aren't you near the top of your class?

santaslayer

HSC
stuff maths, i did 12 units , 2 of which wweere general and it didnt even count, waste of time

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
I don't think you can move up to advanced. There are two sides u have to look at:

1. Maths is extremely important - no matter what level you are doing. If you look at many of the uni degrees majority of them require any level of maths.

2. If you're not going to go well in it, then drop it. Gen maths does not have a high scailing on it, so if you're going to mess around and not give a shit about it, then let it go.

But the way I see it is, it's only one year....try and give a shit about ALL your subjects, and you'll do really well. Gen. maths is a great course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)