what do you think of my subjects? biology or economics? or..? (1 Viewer)

anjalika9923

HSC
hey, i'm a year 10 student and i'm choosing subject selection soon i'm gonna be doing
3u maths
3u eng
chemistry
french
either bio or eco

my 2 reserves will be whatever is left out of bio/eco and 5th legal. i plan on becoming someone that works in the medical field, maybe optometry or dentistry. does this look good?

bio and eco pros and cons, i've heard both are very content heavy and eco you have to write essays which i am absolutely dog s*** at but the stuff is kinda interesting and i feel like it'll be cool to know in everyday life and make connections to stuff (which is why i chose french). bio is just a LOT of learning (and frankly i dont even know if i should be taking it with chem) but the concepts are easy to understand apparently? the past hsc papers are also like pretty interesting too but the teachers at our school for bio aren't that good and the yr 11 course sounds soooo boring so the teacher + course in yr 11 (cells, organisms idk) is literally gonna make me fall asleep BUT the yr 12 course definitely sounds a lot better (we learn about diseases and stuff). eco also scales better than bio apparently and i have a smart friend who's doing eco who i'm hoping can help me understand stuff if i don't get it but in bio, i have no friends that i can ask for help. i should also mention that i have absolutely ZERO political knowledge which i feel like if i did, would help me in eco? like idk anything about stock market or anything so...and i also never took any subjects to do with eco, i.e. no commerce or business studies or any elective humanities.

thank you!

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
If you are planning to do some medical field based thing then you probably have to do some biology subjects at uni, which would probably be helpful to know stuff before hand, so thats a potential reason to choose biology.

On the other hand though I would never just assume one career path automatically, because you will find when you are exposed to year 11 and 12 content your interests might change. For example when I was in year 10 I thought was going to do some business/finance type of degree, and then I ended up in chemistry which is on the complete opposite to that. So it might be a good idea to keep your options open as well

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
If doing Optometry, maybe useful to do Physics (if current syllabus includes some Optics) as well.

Bball1

HSC
Year 10 commerce does give you a good background that may advantage you if you do economics but needless to say, it is still possible to achieve great marks without it. But if you are also bad essays and you want to go more into the medical field I would go with biology. The year 11 course is quite dull compared to the year 12 but it is still pretty interesting (from what I've heard) and it is highly recommended to do two sciences if you do medicine; where is with a business degree (not an economics), economics is not a prerequisite and it isn't too difficult to pick up if you do choose to go down the business path.

anjalika9923

HSC
If doing Optometry, maybe useful to do Physics (if current syllabus includes some Optics) as well.
I wouldn't say I really hate physics but I'm not that good at it and I find it kinda boring, but the prerequisites for unsw include physics... should I still do physics?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
If it's an actual prerequisite (as opposed to assumed knowledge), then it means you need it. I'm not too familiar with the new system where they've included prerequisites for university, but it would be strange if physics was a prerequisite for the degree, as opposed to it just being assumed knowledge.

For optom (or any other medical-related degree), biology would definitely help. You'll learn optics in optom, but you don't need to have taken physics to understand it.

Needless to say, eco would be useless in the medical field.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
In general, people in my generation have the view: if it requires Physics, then I'll just have to do it - whether or not I like it or are good at it. Make yourself better at it, if not necessarily very good at it. I cannot just do what I like; I must do what I need, even if I don't like it.
You may find Optometry quite dry - but if you want to be an Optometrist, you'd just have to live with it.
Where in life do we not, in general, have to work hard for what we want?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
In general, people in my generation have the view: if it requires Physics, then I'll just have to do it - whether or not I like it or are good at it. Make yourself better at it, if not necessarily very good at it. I cannot just do what I like; I must do what I need, even if I don't like it.
You may find Optometry quite dry - but if you want to be an Optometrist, you'd just have to live with it.
Where in life do we not, in general, have to work hard for what we want?
It's really hard to get better at something you hate though.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
You also don't NEED to do anything in high school, except for maybe math. Every other subject is optional in terms of prerequisite uni knowledge. Hence, subjects should be considered based on interest.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Some hate a subject because they are not interested in it. Some hate it because they cannot handle it (hopeless at it!). But if you need it, you need it.

anjalika9923

HSC
okay thanks guys, so um i was also thinking of geography instead of french? so i'd be doing chem, bio and geo which are all sorta loosely related to each other does that sound good as well or should i stick to french? i find geo alright and it's very straight forward

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)