• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What do you think of this as my PIP topic? (1 Viewer)

pigas

HSC
I need to find a topic soon. I want to do something unique, however something that is not too difficult to get information on. My interests lie in gender studies but many things I know have been over done.

I was thinking to do something like 'The under/mis-representation of black women in media'. Reason being because I did a small test: I asked several people, what is the first image that comes in your mind when I say to think of a white person? 90% it was a male dressed in nice clothes such as business clothes and they described him as generally approachable.
When I asked what the first image was when thinking of a black person, it again was a man 100% of the time, with characteristics of laziness, or with a bad attitude, and wearing something like a dirty singlet!

I thought I could do something about how people percieve black people and white people and media representation. I thought maybe it would be easier to narrow it down to just women, especially since no one thought of a black woman, although it was only about 7 people I asked so I will ask more later.

But other than that, I have no idea what topic to do. Let me know what you think?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Hm, instead of narrowing it onto perceptions of "black" people, you can think of how "margin" ethnic groups within society are misrepresented within white-dominated media?

but please note, I don't do SaC so take my advice with a grain of salt :p

Also with gender studies, some ideas could be to look into gender neutral parenting and the growing trends of that. It's a really interesting topic my friends discussed the other day.

Best of luck with your PIP!

Elisa Sweet

HSC
That sounds interesting. Have to be careful when dealing with anything about racism though. Make sure you ok it with your teacher to make sure they don't think it's too "touchy". Good luck with your PIP :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)