• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

what exactly is st andrews affiliation with usyd (1 Viewer)

LazyBoy

HSC
okay not exactly helpful, .. well you were helpful but didnt clear it up is what i meant. What is st andrews then lol

stazi

Nightman
HSC
You know college in the states? How everyone sleeps in dorms and performs menstrual bukkake on each other?
Well that's it.
Except instead of going to school inside the college, you go to school at Syd Uni and sleep at the college and participate in college activites...like menstrual bukkake.

It's pretty much for kids with rich parents because the costs are astronomical.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
how would one get a scholarship. If i do very well in uni 1st year could i get one. Sure i live 20 mins away from uni, but the menstrual bukkake does appeal to me

berghousemaa

HSC
At St Paul's, the better of all the colleges,you would basically need straight HD's to get a full scholarship and for a partial an HD average.
the costs by the way are not astronomical. Only about 11k.
I know that is a lot of money, but not for the services provided. Considering High School boarding at my school cost 20k and college is way better.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
bs pauls is like the only boys college left isnt it. the actual buildings i have to admit are the best ive seen.

berghousemaa

HSC
Yeah it is. When I say best I mean only facilities wise. It leaves every other college in its dust. As to the actual atmosphere I don't really know yet.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i preferred the drew's atmosphere to pauls but it was still really good though. everyone was very friendly and warm. thats mostly what i look for just to see how id feel if i had to live there

berghousemaa

HSC
melbournian said:
Drew's is not like college in the states

Its based on the Oxford/Cambridge system of colleges, with the prime difference been here the

Outside the UK their aren't many uni's that have Oxford/Cambridge style.
UToronto in Canada has it, Otago in NZ has it. Then most of the Go8 + a few other uni's such as UTas etc. have it here.
No the Sydney Uni colleges are nothing like the OXford and Cambridge model.
In those uni's you live at one of the many colleges and you attend classes only with people from your college. The collleges are also not based on faculties so in effect the colleges act as mini uni's.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
melbournian said:
No way.

I read a lot about architectural history and stuff, and while the grounds at Paul's are the nicest, on the exterior of the building Johns wins. Its considered one of the best 4 gothic revival buildings in the countring.
yeah well i said from what ive seen. pauls looks better than drews and wesley imo.

berghousemaa

HSC
melbournian said:
I know that....

If you read my post you may notice that a sentance was incomplete, the prime difference been....(insert what you said)

But it is based on the Oxford/Cambridge model in that the colleges were originally intended by each denomination of the church, to provide academic support. And the whole formal dinner thing most certainly came from Oxford/Cambridge. It was an adaptation of the Oxford/Cambridge model to suit the Australian university system.

UToronto is the only other university that I know, that has compulsory college membership (even if a lot act as day students).
Ok cool. I was wondering at that sentance,struck me as a little odd.
i guess in indsight,the Aust colleges are still really similiar to the UK model, even despite that difference I mentioned.

And as to the Paul's buildings fresher alley looks crap. "Late fuck" is the term I use to describe those crappy 60' 70's buildings made out of visible bricks.
Melbournian, I also went to the Trinity college website and how good does it look. Even though they hardly mentioned any sporting competition.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
berghousemaa said:
No the Sydney Uni colleges are nothing like the OXford and Cambridge model.
In those uni's you live at one of the many colleges and you attend classes only with people from your college. The collleges are also not based on faculties so in effect the colleges act as mini uni's.
Not exactly, afaik lectures are run by the university and tutorials run by the colleges at Oxford and Cambridge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)