What if... (2 Viewers)

Demise

HSC
What if this happens in the HSC:

Student A - 8/15 -> Internal assessment: 83% HSC: 83%
Student B - 9/15 -> Internal assessment: 82% HSC: 89%

What happens?

Does student A get a moderated internal assessment of 89% and 83% exam mark while student B gets an internal of ~80% and an 89% Exam mark?

This means that:
Student A -> (89+83)/2 = 86
Student B -> (80+89)/2 = 84.5 -> 85

Even though student B outperformed student A in the exam significantly and only slightly fell behind student A in internal, why are they that highly disadvantaged for 1 mark?

Or am I completely wrong and student B beats student A.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You can't predict internal moderation because BOS uses a polynomial graph thing to map marks onto, and then they read off marks from there. We can only estimate.

In your case, person A gets a moderated internal mark of 89 and an external mark of 83.

Student B gets an 89 exam mark but who knows what the internal will be. My guess would be around 87-88 if the internal raw marks are that close (88 and 89 internally)

Demise

HSC
You can't predict internal moderation because BOS uses a polynomial graph thing to map marks onto, and then they read off marks from there. We can only estimate.

In your case, person A gets a moderated internal mark of 89 and an external mark of 83.

Student B gets an 89 exam mark but who knows what the internal will be. My guess would be around 87-88 if the internal raw marks are that close (88 and 89 internally)
So it's possible for student B to beat student A? I'm also quite intrigued that student A takes student B's external mark and gets their internal pumped up that much.

D94

HSC
N/A
So it's possible for student B to beat student A? I'm also quite intrigued that student A takes student B's external mark and gets their internal pumped up that much.
Yes of course. There are many optimal situations which can occur such that a lower ranked student will beat a higher ranked student. This happens more often than not - it would naive to think a higher ranked student will always beat a lower ranked student. The HSC exam carries 50% of the final HSC mark, a lot can happen.

Last edited:

Demise

HSC
Yes of course. There are many optimal situations which can occur such that a lower ranked student will beat a higher ranked student. This happens more often than not - it would naive to think a higher ranked student will always beat a lower ranked student. The HSC exam carries 50% of the final HSC mark, a lot can happen.
Sweet, because I beat someone who's one ranked one rank above me and I beat her by 5% in the trials and have been working my butt off while she does nothing... This gives me hope lol, thank you. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)