• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

WHat is aligned mark?? (1 Viewer)

Abtari

HSC
Could someone please tell me what aligned mark actually is? all these different types of marks - raw marks, HSC marks, aligned marks, scaled marks???

I don't know what to put in the SAM thing for my subjects?!!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Aligned marks are the figures reported by the Board on your Record of Achievement, and correlate your performance in an HSC course with the standards and performance band descriptors for that course. They are determined from your raw examination mark and your moderated assessment mark.

You should refer to <a href="/other/flowchart.pdf">this flowchart</a> and <a href="/community/showthread.php?t=36886">this thread</a>.

Abtari

HSC
Great!

But you know how our raw HSC mark is scaled, is that scaled individually for each subject or are they all scaled as a whole?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
All the marks from all courses are used to determine the scaling parameters for each individual course.

The distribution of raw HSC marks for each individual course is then scaled according to those parameters.

(The mathematics behind it ensures that all marks are comparable after scaling.)

somborac

HSC
so lets say my assesment mark for physics is 73% while my hsc mark is 80%...what do i put in SAM?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Read <a href="/community/showthread.php?t=36886">this thread</a>.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)