What is effective study and how to study? (1 Viewer)

AUWoofie

HSC
So I'm in year 12 this years, and i havn't really actually done effective study. In the prelimnary course i just waited about a month until my exams and then summarised all my topics that I've done in class.

This year, I've spent my holidays doing that but just what i have done so far for those subject.

So i usually i write done the dot point and then some information about it.

What is do i need to do for study because i know thats not enough because I've pretty much done summarising all the stuff from Term 4.
What else needs to be done, and make it effective

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Effective study is study that reaps the results an individual wants in a time effective way. Often, it is classified as;
*Consistent-I myself had to move away for the 7-11 habit of just cramming for exams/assessment times
*Goal based-I find it so much more effective to have goals instead of aimlessly saying study Modern for an hour and flicking through my folder not really achieving anything.
*Appeals to the type of learning you like best-you know the difference intelligences and that, that;s why people like to do things a different way. I did a combination of things because my biggest thing was getting bored. Sometimes I typed, sometimes I wrote, sometimes I recorded stuff, sometimes I highlighted, sometimes I made tables/diagrams/posters etc.
*Catered to getting best results in exam-so this focuses on prioritising subs and doing past papers, practice Qs w/ feedback, essay/comp Qs w/ feedback etc.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
When it comes to studying it differs a lot from person to person, you need to find out what works for you.

AUWoofie

HSC
Well i think my studying for me is just making summairsed notes under each dot point, but the problem is that get done way to quickly and then i left with too much time and i feel like i havn't done study. Like I've almost spent summarising all of term 4 topic. When school starts i dont want to leave it to the end, i want to do it as the topic progress and some in study session but then it gets done way to quickly.

Also i think my notes are way to long! For example my biology topic of search for a better health is about 9 pages double sides, and that goes for a few of my other subject too. Thats way too much isnt it?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Well i think my studying for me is just making summairsed notes under each dot point, but the problem is that get done way to quickly and then i left with too much time and i feel like i havn't done study. Like I've almost spent summarising all of term 4 topic. When school starts i dont want to leave it to the end, i want to do it as the topic progress and some in study session but then it gets done way to quickly.

Also i think my notes are way to long! For example my biology topic of search for a better health is about 9 pages double sides, and that goes for a few of my other subject too. Thats way too much isnt it?
If you think stuff is relevant then it's not too long. Maybe start regularly reading your summaries and trying to add to them or make them better if you feel like you aren't doing enough. It could also be worth trying to make simplified notes by summarising your current notes for you to read right before exams.

I'm the kind of person who gets away with reading other peoples notes/summaries the day or night before exams so don't have too many suggestions sorry.

Bobbo1

HSC
When it comes to studying it differs a lot from person to person, you need to find out what works for you.
+1, what works for one person may not be so effective for another, so it's best for you to find which method is best for you

funstudy

HSC
Read ahead, make notes and most importantly READ AND LEARN those notes. Do some practice papers, maybe in the sections that you've learnt.
Effective study means you absorb the information in the best possible way. My advice= get enough sleep, have a good diet, balance study/life and just generally try your best. You may not get the results you want but you'll kick yourself later if you're lazy in year 12!

RishBonjour

HSC
So I'm in year 12 this years, and i havn't really actually done effective study. In the prelimnary course i just waited about a month until my exams and then summarised all my topics that I've done in class.

This year, I've spent my holidays doing that but just what i have done so far for those subject.

So i usually i write done the dot point and then some information about it.

What is do i need to do for study because i know thats not enough because I've pretty much done summarising all the stuff from Term 4.
What else needs to be done, and make it effective
A great thing you could do now is read a bit ahead and prepare for whats coming. You could even make summaries of topics ahead if you like and revise older topics.
You will have to find out whats effective for you. It's different for everyone.

BTW are your bio notes typed? if it is 9 pages isn't really long, its actually perfect for biology. Mine were around 21 pages on computer size 12 + SFBH is long as.
For many people MAKING notes becomes a way of studying. But for me it was not until I read them that the content sunk in. This basically emphasizes that studying is different for everyone.

good luck!

AUWoofie

HSC
A great thing you could do now is read a bit ahead and prepare for whats coming. You could even make summaries of topics ahead if you like and revise older topics.
You will have to find out whats effective for you. It's different for everyone.

BTW are your bio notes typed? if it is 9 pages isn't really long, its actually perfect for biology. Mine were around 21 pages on computer size 12 + SFBH is long as.
For many people MAKING notes becomes a way of studying. But for me it was not until I read them that the content sunk in. This basically emphasizes that studying is different for everyone.

good luck!
My bio notes are 9 pages hand written, and that is just for one topic, not the whole course.

Also how might you study for English, I've never really found out how to do it. Because in the SC and Prelimarany exam it was pretty much read this, and ansawer the question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)