• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What is extracurricular/social life like at MACQ? (1 Viewer)

ccc333

HSC
I have enrolled at USYD, but I applied for MQ in the final round (and got the offer i wanted) because i am still deciding which uni I should choose. USYD is 1 hr away from my house, but MQ is only ten minutes. If that was the only variable i'd choose MQ in a heartbeat, but i'm worried that there isn't much sports/social stuff going on at MQ , especially compared to sydney, and that uni will end up being boring. I don't want uni to be like: i go to classes, go home, study and repeat. To all MQ people, what is the sport/extracurricular/social aspect of the uni like, and is it decent enough to avoid USYD? It is a huge factor, probably the main factor, in my choice of uni at this point.

Prestige of each uni has no bearing in my decision by the way. I probably need to make my decision pretty soon considering I received my offer in the final round, so i cant delay.

Thanks!

Last edited:

rayy_bann

HSC
I have enrolled at USYD, but I applied for MQ in the final round (and got the offer i wanted) because i am still deciding which uni I should choose. USYD is 1 hr away from my house, but MQ is only ten minutes. If that was the only variable i'd choose MQ in a heartbeat, but i'm worried that there isn't much sports/social stuff going on at MQ , especially compared to sydney, and that uni will end up being boring. I don't want uni to be like: i go to classes, go home, study and repeat. To all MQ people, what is the sport/extracurricular/social aspect of the uni like, and is it decent enough to avoid USYD? It is a huge factor, probably the main factor, in my choice of uni at this point.

Prestige of each uni has no bearing in my decision by the way. I probably need to make my decision pretty soon considering I received my offer in the final round, so i cant delay.

Thanks!
Hey! Macquarie is quite famous for a very active student society! There are several extra curricular events you may take part in and there are several groups that you can be a part of! If you choose to do law, the Macquarie Law society is one of the best societies in the state in terms of involvement, activities, help etc!

But it doesn't stop there! There are other groups you can join depending on your course AND you interests! Just visit these sites:

http://www.clubs.mq.edu.au/
http://mq.edu.au/on_campus/get_involved/student_groups/
http://mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/why_choose_macquarie/life_on_campus/

rayy_bann

HSC
Just a little extra information,

Macquarie University focuses on interdisciplinary teaching. With this focus, Macquarie students are equipped with key information and experiences that they will need to enter 'the real world'. This is through the compulsary 'people and planet' units which gives every student the opportunity to do units in ANOTHER faculty of their choice (apart from their own course), and therefore gain insight into new topics and subjects. This as well as the WIDE variety of clubs, student societies ALL suited to your interests, make you not only enjoy university life, but equip you with fundamental skills that can help you in your future career. So when you go to Macq, you are sure to not get bored! :)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
There are a fuck ton of clubs and societies, from academic based (law, history etc) to debating, fire twirling, free food (the WANG - We All Need Grub club is pretty cool, they put on free bbq's for their members every week or so in the courtyard), medieval sword fighting, pretty much anything you can think of. If sport is your thing there are plenty of organised sporting activities you can get involved in, basketball, soccer matches etc. are always going on. If you like drinking there's a weekly themed party at the Ubar every Thursday night, they're usually pretty fun. There's often also live music playing at the Ubar as well as trivia etc. Across from the Ubar is the pizza place where you can play pool, daytona, street fighter, ddr and other games. Plus every year there's conception day, which is like a huge music festival on campus where everyone gets fairly trashed. Pretty much, if you're interested in getting involved, there's plenty of things available.

rayy_bann

HSC
There are a fuck ton of clubs and societies, from academic based (law, history etc) to debating, fire twirling, free food (the WANG - We All Need Grub club is pretty cool, they put on free bbq's for their members every week or so in the courtyard), medieval sword fighting, pretty much anything you can think of. If sport is your thing there are plenty of organised sporting activities you can get involved in, basketball, soccer matches etc. are always going on. If you like drinking there's a weekly themed party at the Ubar every Thursday night, they're usually pretty fun. There's often also live music playing at the Ubar as well as trivia etc. Across from the Ubar is the pizza place where you can play pool, daytona, street fighter, ddr and other games. Plus every year there's conception day, which is like a huge music festival on campus where everyone gets fairly trashed. Pretty much, if you're interested in getting involved, there's plenty of things available.
Hey out of curiousity, is 'The hub' separate from 'UBar'? If so, where s UBar located because I haven't seen the pizza place/ddr/games section :L

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
If you head into the food court from the left side (ie. near the shop and the new boost juice store), Ubar is just up the stairs next to the food court entrance. At the top of the stairs you either turn left for the bar or right for the pizza place and games.

MrBean1561

HSC
Uni Grad
Ha lol I got pretty drunk at last year's Conception Day, I took pics with so many randoms. Did you see the guy dressed up as Peter Pan? That guy was trashed lmao

Fisiks

HSC
I think you're underestimating travel time. An extra 50 minutes is 1hr 40 mins a day (there and back), several hours a week... Time you could spend sleeping in or studying :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Thanks!
Think I answered this in your other thread, social life does exist on campus and quite a fair bit but its up to the individual student to get involved with it if you really want to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)