• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

what is language-art???? (1 Viewer)

tongtong

HSC
1of my friends told me that his brother is doing language-art at sydney uni..
he also told me that his brother learns 5 languages in that course..
can somebody explain this language-art?
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Referring to the BA(Languages)
He might be doing 5 languages, but he can't really do more than 2 in any great detail.

chepas

HSC
Yay join me knobblett :p.

Yeah sounds like Arts Lang. Five languages soudns very ambitious, if not slightly impossible, especially in detail, though we do have to do two majors, one of which has to be a language - so there is maybe two language majors, then one or two minors? All the same, that's a lot of languages!

Going to do Germany for your exchange then, knobblett :). It's such a painful obligation, really...

chepas

HSC
I have to say I don't know the guy of whom you speak, nor do I know of the society... :D. I don't know what the course is like - just that the work is demanding! Also for the BA Lang the credit average in all your courses has to be maintained over the first three years of your study or until you go on exchange - whichever the earlier, so there's that pressure of having to do (moderately) well. But apart from that, it's just Arts with a bonus...

I got in with Adv English, 3U French, 3U Music and German beginners - but I also got the Access scheme because of the 'disadvantage' of doing half my courses by distance ed..... :rolleyes:, as my UAI was 2 points below the cutoff.

Hehe re choice of destination. Where's the mystery and mystique of going to a strange coutnry if you're going to go with your friends :p. Also that would be very unlikely as they have to spread the exchange around evenly between the partner universities, lest it create an imbalance of Syd students going there and their students coming here.

chepas

HSC
We need to have two majors, one of which must be a language. The other major can be anything you want :D. (Of course within the guidelines...). Very nice deal. At the moment I am looking at French for my language and Music for the second, and perhaps will go for German as a third, should I be really enthusiastic.

The $5gs is for overseas though lol.

Re Access: It's weird. I thought for BA Lang there would be no Access places because there are only around 30 people admitted to the course each year. Turns out I was wrong... :rolleyes:.

Re subjects and your marks: Yeah, you should kill it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)