• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What is more glamorous CA vs CPA vs MBA? (1 Viewer)

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
I have a choice. I am currently doing B.Com with Accounting Major. What do you think is best among CA/CPA/MBA?

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Umm..

Last time I checked you can't do a MBA straight out of university. You need years of work experience to be eligible I think? Feel free to correct me.

Between CA and CPA... CA fo-shorrr :)

Just be sure to do all the required subjects. An accounting major isnt enough, depending on your uni you'll also need to take some businesslaw/taxation options.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
PrinceHarry said:
I have a choice. I am currently doing B.Com with Accounting Major. What do you think is best among CA/CPA/MBA?
I dont even think the CA/CPA and MBA are comparable.

They are both completely different.

But in answer to your question I would say the MBA is most prestigious out of the three, depdending on where you do it.

koube0530

HSC
A CA is not glamarous. They've opened the doors and anybody can get it now. That said, I don't deny it's useful.

An MBA is glamorous if you get it from the right place. In my opinion, no MBAs in Australia are glamarous. I know heaps and heaps of MBAs from MBS and AGSM working at suburban travel agents, teaching Accounting in the equivalent of Footscray High because they tried to get a good job and they can't etc etc.

Also, the entry requirements are slack. All these people I know who have gotten MBAs from these schools have either not worked in a real company (that is, they either feigned employment by working at their brother-in-law's garage doing accountancy or something) or they were teaching at a high school.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
mba is good when you are already in a higher management position and are looking to get even higher because your life is so sad you feel the need to justify your existence by earning an even more ridiculous amount of money.

with that said, if you love long hours at work, bonking secretaries and truck loads of money, do an mba or emba.

turtleface

HSC
PrinceHarry said:
Shouldn't you be in Afghanistan at the moment?

Comparison should not be an issue.

Usually a MBA at a "reputable" Business School requires 2 years work experience and are designed for managers/manager wannabes.

So here's your 7 year plan for you (free of charge :) ):

Now: Graduate first, find a job
3 Years later: Finish off your CA
6 months later: Get your CPA (you only need to do 2 subjects by correspondance once you have done your CA)
2 years later: finish your MBA or 3 years later: get your combined MBA/JD and go work as an uber qualified accountant/manager/lawyer instead

Then you will be Prince Harry Windsor (or whatever your surname is) BCom (Acc), CA, CPA, MBA, JD

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
turtleface said:
Shouldn't you be in Afghanistan at the moment?

Comparison should not be an issue.

Usually a MBA at a "reputable" Business School requires 2 years work experience and are designed for managers/manager wannabes.

So here's your 7 year plan for you (free of charge :) ):

Now: Graduate first, find a job
3 Years later: Finish off your CA
6 months later: Get your CPA (you only need to do 2 subjects by correspondance once you have done your CA)
2 years later: finish your MBA or 3 years later: get your combined MBA/JD and go work as an uber qualified accountant/manager/lawyer instead

Then you will be Prince Harry Windsor (or whatever your surname is) BCom (Acc), CA, CPA, MBA, JD
The more postnomials you have, the bigger toss you are. :uhhuh:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
lolin @ "glamorous"

turtleface said:
It'd be His Royal Highness Prince Henry of Wales BCom (Acc) CA BE MBBS MMath PhB PhD CPA MBA JD

just added a few extra degrees in there no reason really o

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If you have to ask this question on the BoS forum... >_>

.... on the serious side, CA/CPA are professional accounting bodies and MBA is a different thing altogether. MBA is generally considered more useful or "glamorous" as you put it, but that's based on the idea that it's come from a reputable/prestigious institution. An Australian CA is miles ahead of an MBA from "is that even a country?!".

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
I am graduating next year and my trust fund will pay for all my expenses until the end of 2010. So I need to decide QUICK! :D

Seems like CA is my only option since MBA requires work experience.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
PrinceHarry said:
I am graduating next year and my trust fund will pay for all my expenses until the end of 2010. So I need to decide QUICK! :D

CA also requires work experience.

But then on the other hand, if you're eligible to do a CA, chances are you are working in an environment where your company/firm will sponsor you anyway.

Monstar

HSC
PrinceHarry said:

rich kid aye....

someone was telling me there was a graduate school in france which was really good for MBA.. the name escapes me.

turtleface

HSC
INSEAD?

Also, sorry I did not mean you had to have work experience before doing MBA. For instance, in the USA you don't need work experience. Not sure here though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)