• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What is the best way to study 4 legal? (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I never quite know how to study 4 legal, i find it too hard to write study notes 4 coz there is so much important info...I usually just read through the book a few times. How do u study 4 legal studies???

Pixydust*

a tip

I know its hard to get into writing notes but the fact of the matter is you have to - and legal is a demanding subject. There's alot of reading and you always have to be up-to-date and evaluating the system. But trust me NOT making notes on this will only make things worse. It's much easier if you start earlier so just give it a try. Think of it this way, you will be able to cut out atleast half of what u r reading and u don't have to read through anything you don't understand!!! Its really important for every topic to have some evaluation on legal issues i.e. pro's and con's for extended and short answer exam questions. gl :)

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
melsc i suggest make notes!
i type up my notes. u should try it its much easier
anyways ive made notes on crime, law and justice and human rights
ill start my family notes in the holidays
but yeah i definitely suggest typing ur notes. Its much easier than writing them!
If youd like i could send u my notes
see, im even helping u! :rolleyes: LoL
see melsc, i actually am giving u genuwine advice
i hate how people go "see the resources section"
that requires u 2 actually go thru stuff! that makes even more work
anyway good luck with it
if u hav any questions, feel free 2 email me, PM me, MSN me whatever me anytime and id b happy 2 help u out

joe :)

manifestation

What?!
HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
but yeah i definitely suggest typing ur notes. Its much easier than writing them!
anyway good luck with it
if u hav any questions, feel free 2 email me, PM me, MSN me whatever me anytime and id b happy 2 help u out

personally i think the best way to study for legal is for your friends to quiz you. Like get into groups and ask each other questions that way you can get your answers out and also help each other and explain etc. and notes are always good. write Mnemonics to help you remember things like types of penalties, types of crimes, sentencing etc etc. hope that helps :)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
anyway good luck with it

Awe ur sweet joe...last yr i taped the entire book onto CD and listened to it...i may do it 4 HSC if i am bothered

eljay080

HSC
melsc said:
Awe ur sweet joe...last yr i taped the entire book onto CD and listened to it...i may do it 4 HSC if i am bothered
How long did that take you?
But i reckon notes work the best!

eljay080

HSC
melsc said:
Ages LOL thats why am not inclined to do it again...plus they were huge wav files on my computer
So then start makinf notes now!!! *(asap)*

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
i typed my study notes onto the comp. and then printed them off, and stuck them on cards

dont know how i did in the exam yet, tho

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
elissa said:
i typed my study notes onto the comp. and then printed them off, and stuck them on cards

dont know how i did in the exam yet, tho
yep there u go melsc
thats wat i said i did 2
and recommended 4 u 2 do
trust me...ur on the comp most of the time anyways
typing them is so much better than writing :)

still waiting

HSC
definitely write notes I havent written notes for all my subjects yet and trust me im failing those exams and stuff that I havent written notes for its the best way Id type them out so they are always easy to read and then I stick the most important points eg case studies and their relevent legislation and how they fit in the sylabus or court heirarchy etc up on the wall of my room so i can always see them
hope this helps

santaslayer

HSC
Writing notes helps you digest the information much more effectively then typing IMO.
Play with mindmaps if you have the time.
Gather statistics, newspaper articles, journals, academic works and other international treaties/laws and study them instead. Studying these will help you memorise the content itself and will give you an edge during essay writing, since you are able to justify your statements.

roadcone

HSC
notes are the go --> typed or handwritten it doesn't really matter, whatever you find works best

then consistently reading over them i think is a must so that by the time exams come around not as much cramming is needed as you already know all the basic concepts

i think for legal you need a sheet for each option with all possible legislation, cases, media etc that you can use --> if time breaking this down into certain sections is an even better idea in my opinion as then you have clear what laws apply to what --> for example in crime you can have an lcmd for like rights of accused, defences, legal aid etc etc

as for actually studying i think constant revision is the most integral aspect. you are never going to learn the maximum amount if you simply cram the night prior to an assessment. quick mind maps (i know i HATE them as well) are a good idea to quickly map out everything that you know for a particular topic, enabling you to then refine what you need to concentrate on in your study

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)