What is the POINT of this year? (1 Viewer)

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
Is it true that Maths is the only subject where what was learnt in year 11 is tested in the HSC?
If so, why is so much emphasis put on this year? I hear everyone telling me, year 11 is the hardest year, you better try and work as hard as you can...
Is the only thing I am going to get out of this effective study habits? (And I'll be lucky if I even get that much...)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
its the basis of the knowledge you will gain next year.
maths is the only subject that tests prelim content, however the other subjects, the knowledge they test (ie, yr 12 material) is based on what you learnt in yr 11, without doing yr 11 you wouldnt know the basics that are then built on in yr 12 to be tested.

jesshika

supreme being
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
maths is the only subject that tests prelim content, however the other subjects, the knowledge they test (ie, yr 12 material) is based on what you learnt in yr 11, without doing yr 11 you wouldnt know the basics that are then built on in yr 12 to be tested.
*nods head in agreement* ... if you bludge your way through the whole of year 11 and learn jackshit ... you'd prbably find it difficult to grasp the concepts in year 12 cuz year 11 work lays down the foundation for year 12

cko

HSC
Well i bludged my way thru yr 11 and im going fine...
i think the main point of yr 11 is yeh, to provide the base for yr 12 learning but u should also treat it as a practice run for yr 12. its a wise thing to do

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
its because its the foundation for your subjects in your 12.

year 11 gives you an insight and what you have to understand inorder to advance and understand the course work in yr 12. persoanlly, i tend to become more lazier in yr 12.

that's true also, yr 11 work can be used in exams and stuff during the early stages of year 12exams.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
Although this is more evident in some subjects then others. Eg Engineering Studies you learn alot in yr 11 like how to write Engineering Reports and properties of steels, in the HSC you may be asked to recommended a steel in an Engineering Report which you would have to use the knowledge used in prelim.

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
ohhh yeah at the beginning of yr 12 you have revision from prelim, some things are learnt in prelim and not in yr 12.

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
no it is not true that maths in the olny subject that wot u learn in yr 11 is tested...
30% of the science HSC paper can consist of prelim stuff(phy chem n bio i dont no about senior science)
n yes if u cant gasp the concepts in Yr 11 ur f**ked in Yr12...
when i read through my bio book it is always saying that it would go more in depth later in Chapter 5,6,7or8 (which are chapters for Yr12)
n i think Yr 11 is more work but the work is simpler once u get in2 yr 12 there is the same amount of work but u havea bit longer (5weeks or so) but the work is so much harder

santaslayer

HSC
Yr 11 is also the year where you practise being comfy in exam conditions, the rules, regulations and general exam do's and don'ts so u dont end up being stuffed in the real thing.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by JamiL
30% of the science HSC paper can consist of prelim stuff(phy chem n bio i dont no about senior science)
fo sciences that it not the case. The year 12 science syllabus is your only friend in year 12. for maths, up to 15% of prelim maths can be assesed in the HSC exam. But it depends on what you classify as "prelim maths" because your school may do topics differently to others (i know because this was the case for my school). Plus you need to know prelin stuff to really understand the HSC stuff.
The whole point of the prelim year is to give you a "test run" of the HSC year. It gives you an indication of what next year is about and tells you what youre doing wrong/right and what you need to work on.

santaslayer

HSC
hmm... well for a lotta subjects ur gonna be tested on prelim stuff automatically coz yr 11 were the foundations of the course. eg. economics

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
my english teacher saids that english this year is not about content but rather skills (mind u which i dont have yet :p)
maths is easy in Yr 11 i basicly did the prelim 2u course with no aid in the 6weeks holidays it is a summery of Yr 9 and 10.. Ex1 is a different story though that goes hand in hand with the HSC 2u course n genraly requires a teacher...
Physic Chem and Bio i asked my teachers about.. they are the base of Yr12 n if u dont understand them in Yr 11 u will be lost all of Yr 12 because they are all indepth studie of Yr11 and 1 extra topic...
SOR1 i would have no idea that is a sleep class.. i havent done nething this year 4 it n got 18/25 4 my asses so that is good enough 4 me...
any other subject i have no idea there a prob subjects u can bludge throu in yr 11 and still do well in in yr 12... like if u r a good english student you wont need 2 try 2 hard in yr11 it should jus have 2 do homework but if ur no like me ur F**KED (in other words u need 2 try hard)
but u should realy assess wot is important 2 u... if ur HSC is i would put in a great deal of effort

Blackalicious

HSC
You can also get a rough idea of your weaknesses and strengths in each subject and improve in your HSC year cos you know what to areas to focus on. :)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Originally posted by JamiL
my english teacher saids that english this year is not about content but rather skills (mind u which i dont have yet :p)
this is true which is why i encourage people to try hard in yr 11 english (can't speak for the others, english is the only one i've completed), because in terms of content you don't need to remember anything from yr 11, it's the skills that are really fundamental to doing well in yr 12

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
yeah, i agree completely. Yr 11 eng was such a big step from junior year english. Getting it down pat in yr 11 helps alot in yr 12.

it was the only subject that i tried hard in for yr 11 and its paying off now :D

santaslayer

HSC
I second that....:p

In year 11, it was really the techniques and approaches to exams and essays which is what really boosted my english marks in yr 12. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)