What is theology? really. (1 Viewer)

Giant Lobster

HSC
Can anyone tell me the definition of 'theology' and how it's different to say, studying a certain religion or its underlying philosophies? Everytime I replace the latter with the former I get scalded by my well-read teachers; mostly along the lines of "you do not know what theology is etc dont get it mixed up with what you're doing etc".
I really need to know what it means so that I wont misuse it. Hopefully someone doing SOR should know :)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
theology- Greek word made up of theos and logos

theos= god
logos= discourse

ie the reflection on the nature and being of God

Giant Lobster

HSC
Do you do 1 unit or 2?
neither... i need this for an English project :)
the reflection on the nature and being of God
so its the study of God himself, and not the principal doctrines an paradigms behind a certain belief? I always thought of it as the latter...

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
neither... i need this for an English project :)

so its the study of God himself, and not the principal doctrines an paradigms behind a certain belief? I always thought of it as the latter...
Naw- thats geting more into philosophy (the origin,essence and content of religion and the critique of its value and truth)....(you know, the difference between doctrine and dogma,why I am here etc--- as per your example)

If you ever see the word "theo", you know its dealing with God Him/Her self.

Have a look at The Oxford Dictionary of World Religions- most libraries would have it if the school teaches Religion or SOR and its one of the definitive guides. If your English teacher still says your wrong, tel them they are an idiot and go talk to one of the RE/SOR teachers!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)