what is up with the economics essay structure (1 Viewer)

MrKay

HSC
i usually only do three body paragraphs with 2 or 3 diagrams but i've found that to be really rigid sometimes and not that effective eg. if doing a fiscal essay with three paragraphs for three objectives that dosen't lead any room to talk in depth about limitations which is important in getting 20/20. Yet, I have no idea how to write an essay without a solid structure in mind, and just going all over the place and talking about everything (which i've seen many 20/20 hsc essays do). Any help?

SuperAltastic

HSC
Essay writing is tough and the structure can be hard to grasp but this is what I did for my economics HSC. But first some general rules.

1. There is no same structure for each essay, as in some of my essays might have had 6-8 body paragraphs and some only 4 it depends on the type od questions and how much you can write.

2. INTRODUCTIONS IS KING, this first paragraph or so has to be strong to get the marker attention.

3. Keep on answering the question, in each paragraph you do make links to it and ensure you never forget about it.

4. I used to plan before I wrote so it did help organise my thoughts.

Now to the structure I used.

1. Intro:
- Define the keywords.
- Take stance on the question.
- Explain the basic concept of the question using keywords from the syllabus ie if it was a micro I would explain "rationale for microeconomic policies including shifts in aggregate supply, efficiency" in your introduction and same goes for the other topics.

2. Bodies
- Depends on how deep the question is and how well you know the content so you can write as many as you want to answer the question effectively, ie 2016 HSC the monetary policy questions I had a body paragraph for each economic issue so 6 issue, 1 to explain what monetary policy is and 1 for explaining how they all inter relate .

3. Conclusion.
Another key part do not introduce any new info just reinforce your stance on the question and re state some stuff to answer the question again. Also I used to end on some big statement like "Thus regardless of the stance of monetary policy its effects on the Australian economy have been profound" or something along those lines to end it well.

I hope these helped again you don't have to follow it, its just my thoughts as you need to do what best suits you in the HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)