• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What laptop should I buy? (1 Viewer)

kfnmpah

HSC
Hi er'body,
My current laptop (more like craptop) is going into the light.
I need some advice one what laptop I should purchase to replace it.

I would like something with a 13-15 inch screen, with battery life and speed its top priorities.
I don't play computer games, just research, uni work and watch movies pretty much.
I would be willing to buy a mac, but I've heard from many that they're overrated (?)

Thanks guys!
p.s. rep will be had by people who help if you're that way inclined.

cheeeeeeeers big ears

jnney

lemon
HSC
Having the same dilemma. I was thinking about a mac too, but they're expensive.

HSC
Uni Grad
macbook pro is awesome okay, dissenters will inevitably abhor

macs aren't even that much more expensive, the equivalent macbook in terms of specs is only like $300-500 more but they are so much better designed (aluminum unibody, glass multitouch trackpad, awesome battery, battery indicator lights, magsafe power thing, full hd webcam, intel thunderbolt (kinda useless atm though))

not to mention they are very sexy

dem features are totes worth it

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
macbook pro is awesome okay, dissenters will inevitably abhor

macs aren't even that much more expensive, the equivalent macbook in terms of specs is only like $300-500 more but they are so much better designed (aluminum unibody, glass multitouch trackpad, awesome battery, battery indicator lights, magsafe power thing, full hd webcam, intel thunderbolt (kinda useless atm though))

not to mention they are very sexy

dem features are totes worth it
This (being written from a 2011 15" MBP)

no what they actually mean is "herp derp i am too poor to afford a macbook"
This was me :)

Seriously. They are worth every cent

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
IF you can afford it, get a Mac Book Pro, the 15" in my opinion is worth it more than the 13", but that depends on your usage, so 13" may suffice depending on your usage, there's also Mac Book Air, which may come in handy for uni to type up notes in case you need it, same with MBP, both have very good battery life.

These things are worth every cent, long life and are very versatile (My cousin has had his for 3 years and it's still going good).

I myself will also purchase one next year, I hope they have something new with the design, that's why I didn't purchase one this year, but I'm in no need yet, my 6 core desktop is serving me well :D

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Yeah, I have a Toshiba Satellite, cost me $700 less than the Macbook Pro does now 7 months ago. The only thing that is better on the 15" Macbook pro is the battery life. And the processor is 2.3ghz I7 instead of the 1.73Ghz one I have. Seriously, not worth the money. If I need battery life I go with my netbook.

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, I have a Toshiba Satellite, cost me $700 less than the Macbook Pro does now 7 months ago. The only thing that is better on the 15" Macbook pro is the battery life. And the processor is 2.3ghz I7 instead of the 1.73Ghz one I have. Seriously, not worth the money. If I need battery life I go with my netbook.
specs aren't everything to consider, there are many other aspects where macbooks shit over everything else which i have pointed out

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Battery life and a design which honestly isn't that great?

Also, over heating issues? Yeah, I like them as well.

HSC
Uni Grad
-slot loading optical drive
-really good lcd screen
-better colour management
-better font management
-option to use osx natively
-intel thunderbolt
-thinner and lighter than comparable laptops
-hd camera
-magsafe power thing
-battery indicator lights
-better battery life
-aluminium unibody
-glass trackpad
-entire trackpad as button
-backlit keyboard

also it is fucking sexy

easily worth the extra $$

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
-Slot loading optical drive is eh but it does have value.
-I have a high def 1080p LCD screen...
-Granted
-That's really a big thing? And I can' really comment on it.
-Meh, OSX is over rated. It's limited and vulnerable as fuck(yeah, I know Unix and BSD based but it's still the system that people target in hacking competitions because it's the easiest to find a flaw in.)
-Alright, it does seem pretty awesome.
-My Satellite is only 3kgs(approx), I really don't see that has heavy.
-Honestly, have no idea about camera but I'll give you that one
-I honestly don't like the magsafe adaptor, it really just felt tacked on and a stupid novelty. If I trip on my power cord it comes out of my laptop without magnets and shit.
-Really, it's that hard to just check it on the task bar?
-I already acknowledged this
-An aluminium unibody that has cases of reaching over 70C when doing basic tasks.
-I honestly find the trackpad a pain to use. I use my own as a button all the time(only as left click, control click or right click if I don't want to hit the actual button). It's really not a big thing, but a lot of the time I'd scroll or whatever on a Mac and the cunt would click or I'd click with one finger and it would some how think I had a fat finger or didn't have a finger.
-I can see the plus of the backlit keyboard but if you can't use your screen to see your keyboard if you're using it without lights for some reason you're doing it wrong.

To be honest, I don't like white laptops, they just don't look sleek to me. It also shows more easily when it gets dirty.

I really don't think it's worth paying an extra $700 for when my Laptop is actually better with pretty much all the specs except the processor and this was bought November last year.

airblitz7

HSC
-slot loading optical drive
Oh really, Yay, i can slide a disc in instead of placing it in a tray, that's totally worth the 500 - 600 dollars extra

-really good lcd screen
This is subjective, there are numerous Laptops out there that have better LCD screens than Apple's Macs

-better colour management
Explain. On the actual laptop or the OSX? As long as my laptop isn't epilepsy coloured, and I'm not a hipster, I really don't care whether my laptop looks good or not.

-better font management
Again, on the OSX? Fonts can be changed on laptops.

-option to use osx natively
Um, I'd really like to use osx on a normal laptop, right?

-intel thunderbolt
Not sure about this, can't comment.

-thinner and lighter than comparable laptops
Really, 1 to 2 cmd + grams makes a difference? That's hardly worth the extra dollars.

-hd camera
I can easily buy an adaptable HD camera for a laptop (with the extra dollars saved from NOT buying a Mac)

-magsafe power thing
Umm

-battery indicator lights
Umm. I think almost ALL laptops have this?

-better battery life
Again, subjective.

-aluminium unibody
Hardly worth the extra 500 - 600 dollars

-glass trackpad
This sounds tedious, it's prone to constant changes in smoothness.

-entire trackpad as button
I don't know how to reply to that.

-backlit keyboard
A lot of laptops have this.

also it is fucking sexy
Bill Gates "If you can't make it good. At least make it look good."

easily worth the extra $$
No.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
The idea of the optical drive in Macs is that they can't get their tiny penises stuck in tehb disc drive.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
@airblitz7

Mac's have one of the best screens on the planet for consumers, your argument is void, the colours on the screen are accurate and plain awesome.

The battery life is excellent for the specs, I doubt you'll find a laptop with similar specs with similar battery life, take the stock 15" mbp for example.

And it looks sexy, which puts it above everything else, it works well, you cant judge it until you've used it, it's fast and remain fast without having to reformat it every year/6 months/whenever to speed it up again like windows.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
@airblitz7

Mac's have one of the best screens on the planet for consumers, your argument is void, the colours on the screen are accurate and plain awesome.

The battery life is excellent for the specs, I doubt you'll find a laptop with similar specs with similar battery life, take the stock 15" mbp for example.

And it looks sexy, which puts it above everything else, it works well, you cant judge it until you've used it, it's fast and remain fast without having to reformat it every year/6 months/whenever to speed it up again like windows.
You haven't heard of defraging, have you?

Also, you don't have to reformat on Linux either, EXT is an awesome file system.

kfnmpah

HSC
What are the waranty options like for mac book pros? I don't want to pay a shit load for a laptop, then a shit load for a warranty that only covers me for a year (then have my laptop over heat or something straight after a year is up)
also, how good is linux? I've never used it, but i've heard great things. can you use it on macs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)