What makes english extension 1 good/bad and do you recommend doing it? (1 Viewer)

jessesgirl

HSC
I'm choosing subjects in a few days and I really like the content of Extension 1, I am a good student but I don't have a very good understanding of what the course is really like, coupled with advanced english, modern history, society and culture, legal, etc. I'm not doing any science and may/may not be doing any maths. What is the work load like?

grapess

HSC
Hi!

What is the course like - well essentially it is studying a range of texts (usually of different mediums) with the same focus point. In yr 11 our 'module' was revenge and we studied Medea (play), Wuthering Heights (novel) and The Brave One (film), focusing on the concept of revenge for each text. You will then have around 4-5 tasks (we had a creative (in-class), analytical response (hand in), essay (half-yearly), a speech and then an essay+creative for finals).

I'm doing Romanticism now in yr 12 and tbh the workload is so much less than advanced because you basically write your essay+creative for half-yearlies and just keep editing them until HSC. In a way, this makes the course easier than advanced because you have the entire length of the course to develop the skills/ideas required to approach each text.
Of course you'll have other assessments (such as speeches or visual presentations) in between your half-yearlies, trials and HSC but those tasks should be manageable (and will generally be less demanding than assessments from other subjects). If your school has dedicated teachers that are willing to teach you each text properly, and possibly provide you with various articles/notes on your texts, you should find the course enjoyable (assuming English is your strong point)

IMO ext 1 has been easier to manage than advanced since the year 11. I did, however, find the workload a little more demanding in yr 11 than yr 12, but that may just be because everything was squashed into 3 terms. I would definitely recommend that you choose ext 1 if you like english and actually enjoy deciphering texts. Another advantage is that your advanced skills will definitely improve by doing ext 1 (there will never be 'too much' improvement for English in yr 11/12 so this will be very helpful), and by choosing it you will also give yourself the option to possibly do ext 2 in yr 12.

Hope this helps :)
(and i notice that this is very bias towards the positives of ext 1 but that is only coz i love it)

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
Hello!

I'm EarthSci34 and I do 4-Units of English. However, I enjoy English Extension I the most out of all the english subjects I've undertaken (including creating my major work, which is still heaps fun btw)!

English Extension I is an exciting opportunity to see your limits as an English Student. What this essentially means is that you will be studying the VALUE of texts across a range of contexts, may it be historical, your texts as a classification or how it reflects the values of the time. In Year 11, you are free to study what the school decides (e.g. I did Gothicism, I know someone who did Utopias etc.) and will generally give you a feel of the higher levels of text interaction as compared to English Advanced. In Year 12, you study 1 elective, which is chosen by your teacher (or the school). These electives are Module A (Genre Study) Module B (Ways of Thinking) and Module C (Language and Values).

I do not necessarily agree with the post above. Referencing many of the other posts in BoS as well as my own personal experience, undertaking an EXTENSION subject is just as much work as a normal 2-u course. Consider this: you will be studying 3 texts IN DETAIL and then studying AT LEAST 2 related texts. Compound this with a detailed understanding of your module (with rigorous preparation for essay writing and creatives), it ultimately results with a challenging course that consumes much of your time. It is developing a personal understanding of your elective that defines the higher-end marks and allows your responses to be authentic and well-rounded.

I still highly recommend you try the course out. Although very demanding-- it is quite rewarding. You garner a new found appreciation of textual forms and features as well as increased insight into the significant value of texts. The workload can get intense, however if you do enjoy the additional challenges of english, then I would say go for it! Besides, you can always drop if you do not feel the subject as useful or too difficult. Also, EX2 is a possibility-- keeping your options open :)

I do hope my response has helped you with your subject selections. I do remember being hesitant to choose EX1 in year 10... but now I enjoy every minute of it! Best of luck with your confronting decision. :)

grapess

HSC
Hi EarthSci34

I guess what i said before was 'wrong' in a way but I only said it because for me, at my school, I happened to get better marks in ext 1 than in adv without putting in any more effort than I did for adv.
So yeh sorry if what I said was misleading in any way :/

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
Hi EarthSci34

I guess what i said before was 'wrong' in a way but I only said it because for me, at my school, I happened to get better marks in ext 1 than in adv without putting in any more effort than I did for adv.
So yeh sorry if what I said was misleading in any way :/
Hey grapess!
Please don't apologise!!
We're both stating our opinions here and your opinion is as valid as mine, no questions asked.
When considering your opinion, it SHOULD be considered that cumulative study of the modules leads to a subconscious familiarisation with the concepts. (e.g. studying After the Bomb all the time has made me more aware of the underlying struggles composers faced during the time). I'm sorry if I seemed to put your opinion on the spot, honestly that was not my intention. I was just trying to provide my own experiences and insight into the rigorous EX1 course.

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
Thanks for all of your responses, I have decided I will be brave and do ext. english 1, because if I don't do it I know I'll regret it. :)
Congratulations for being daring and taking the additional challenge of EX1! Many of those who took EX1 one way or another found the course beneficial :) Best of luck with your future endeavours, and if you need help I'm glad to give assistance.

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
Thanks for all of your responses, I have decided I will be brave and do ext. english 1, because if I don't do it I know I'll regret it. :)
Good luck and enjoy! :)

im a bit late in replying, but i chose it mainly because i wanted to do 4 unit english in year 12. But now, i actually find it WAY better than advanced english haha, i atually understand what is going on. The concepts are really interesting and I always have an idea that i can put forward in my essays, unlike in advanced where they are so broad and strange that i just have no clue.

Mythos

HSC
eng ext1 has literally no work load and is much easier than advanced

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Yeah I found it much easier to manage as the workload is pretty minimal and most assignments were just practice for prelim and then trials/hsc. Assignments are certainly marked to a higher degree than advanced and therefore may require more time/effort, but I found this beneficial for my advanced skills. I wouldn't say it is too much harder than advanced, just more work to your overall load - and not much at that. I only really noticed the fact I had 11 units during assignment periods.
I would say the most important thing is to make sure you enjoy the topic and texts you're studying. In Y11 we did Gothic Horror and I really didn't enjoy it that much... the texts were okay I just didn't care for the genre and wanted to drop all the time, but I really loved doing Romanticism this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)