What raw mark do I need for a 90+ in.... (1 Viewer)

Stopsign

HSC
N/A
-Physics
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Business Studies
-Economics
-PDHPE

To make this easier, give me suggestions of raw exam marks needed for an exam mark of 90+.
(Note. Not all these subjects are mine but I can pass these onto my friends and family members who are doing these subjects)

A big thank you to all those who help!

Tommy_69

Old Member
HSC
Stopsign said:
-Physics
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Business Studies
-Economics
-PDHPE

To make this easier, give me suggestions of raw exam marks needed for an exam mark of 90+.
(Note. Not all these subjects are mine but I can pass these onto my friends and family members who are doing these subjects)

A big thank you to all those who help!
It depends on how your school goes in their HSC external exams. If your school goes well then all your School Assessments marks will be moderated up. For eg these are my comparisons of school marks:

Business: 83% (raw school mark) ----------> 88% (moderated assessment mark)
Economics: 81% (raw school mark) ---------> 84% (moderated assessment mark

Basically to get 90's in those subs try to get in the early to mid 80's. The sciences scail good so does economics, but business and pe on the other hand dont scail as well. Just remember this is only a rough estimation for you. I do not know what school u go to and etc. Just try your best. You will only get good marks if you study. Get your assessments up and you should be fine.

p.s dont listen to UAI estimations they are totaly bullshit especially from school. I had a estmated UAI of 82 from my school assessments i ended up with 93.80.

Hope I helped,

Stopsign

HSC
N/A
How about if I ignore the raw marks complication.
If I want 90+ in say, English, I'll just work hard, getting raw marks of 90+. Saves confusion.
For example, if I get a raw mark of 99 in English, I can assume I'll get 99 in English in the end if I work at the same pace all the way. :)

Tommy_69

Old Member
HSC
No your not entirely correct. If you get 99% in your school assessments its either that your very smart or your assessments are too easy. Scailing by bos is used to put everyone on the same level so if some schools put their assessments at a more harder lever and other schools put their assessments at a easier level, they wont be disadvantaged/advantaged. You could very well get 99% in school ass's for English but be moderated down because you and your Year 12 cohort didn't go as well on the HSC English exam day.

Stopsign

HSC
N/A
Yeh. I know that there's the technical stuff to it. For my SC, my trial marks are very similar to the SC marks I got.
Here's the basic summary.
Get a raw mark of 100 in the exam and you get 100 as your exam mark!

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
all you have to do is do your best. my suggestions is that you get AT LEAST in the high 80's ie 85+ to have a good chance at getting a band 6 for all your subjects.

generally speaking, to my knowledge:

-Physics: AT LEAST 85
-Biology: AT LEAST 85
-Chemistry: same
-Business Studies: at least 90
-Economics: at least 85
-PDHPE: at least 90

this also depends upon your year cohort as well, so your mark MAY get dropped down a bit, or might get pushed up.

the moral of the story: DO YOUR VERY VERY VERY VERY BEST AND LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES!

jessied

HSC
Well I did PDH and Bio.

My HSC mark for PDH was 94 (both exam and internal marks were 94), my trial mark was 92 and the mark my school sent in was around 95ish, my guess is that for a 90+ in PDH you probably need to be getting high 80's+ (raw) in your exams (half yearlies, trials) to achieve a band 6 in your HSC.

For Bio my HSC mark was 91 (90 internal and 92 exam mark), can't give you much advice as to what raw mark you need for a 90+ HSC mark in bio cos my trial mark was about 76 and the mark my school sent in was around 80. That being said I studied my ass off in Bio just before the HSC, so maybe as Mountain.Dew said a raw mark of around 85 will get you a band 6.

As much as your teachers will mark fairly and can give you a pretty good indication of what band your going to get into, some teachers mark easy while others mark extreamly hard so you could be pleasntly surprised or a tad disappointed when you get your HSC marks. Also remember all the shit (moderating and aligning) that the BOS do to your raw marks. My advice, work hard, study hard, have a life and you'll get the marks that you deserve!

Last edited:

warstalker

I dunno
HSC
What about for subjects such as Math extension 1 and 2 , physics, busines studies and SOR 2 and Advanced English??

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
warstalker said:
What about for subjects such as Math extension 1 and 2 , physics, busines studies and SOR 2 and Advanced English??
mmmmmmmmmmmm...
these are "at least" marks
maths ext 1: 85
maths ext 2: 85
English: 92
Physics: 85
Business Studies: 90
SOR: no idea, my school doesnt offer it, im guessing roughly 90?

Stopsign said:
In summary:
-Work hard.
-Don't worry about raw marks too much.
mmmmmmmmm about the raw marks...just do the best you can. although the raw marks that you get can be changed by teachers before sending the marks to the BOS, the raw marks gives u a very good 'ball park' figure of what is 'expected' or 'predicted' as ur final HSC mark.

vojnik

HSC
Dude arent those raw marks a "tad" too high?
maths ext 1: 85
maths ext 2: 85
If u got those marks raw in those subjects you would getting alligned of about 98+ for each..wouldnt you?

rama_v

HSC
For maths ext 1, I estimated I got 68/84 in the HSC exam as a raw mark. My aligned mark (i.e. HSC mark) for that subject was 47/50. So clearly 80% in extension one should easily drag you to a band E4.

HSC
N/A
I reckon u'll need mid-high 80s in business studies. It scaled worse than general maths last year (twice as many band 1s as band 6s!). But it's definately achievable if you can memorise a textbook.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)