what shall i do if i wanna study medicine (2 Viewers)

streetball

HSC
i have a determination, to get into medcine, but by look at the uai, umat and all the obstacle, im losing my confidence, i do the hsc in 2008, wt preparation shall i do in order to higher the chances of getting into medicine school

Ankita

HSC
haha...i am in the same boat as u...except in yr 11! i wanna do med aswell!
Dw...dnt give up...with UMAT from what ive heard u just need to practice as many questions as u can until you understand the manner of the questions and how to "think" like a doctor..and just basically really practice for the shapes...there's like random coaching colleges on the net and in person like Icarus, Med entry...etc..and with UAI...make notes throughout the year so its not all left till the week before the exams ;-) .hope that kinda helps!
But good luck!

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
You will get told about UMAT in yr 12 and about med interviews so dont worry about it just yet your still in yr 10, just focus on school at the moment.

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
Not neccessarily. i think my school didn't tell us about the UMAT...better to go online and find out...yeah you shouldn't worry however peopl\e start studying for umat like one year before the HSC so they have time to study for the HSC

streetball

HSC
how can u accelerate in bio, coz i ask my teachers, and they say u have to do you SC first. But i know all the stuff in the yr11 bio course.

the teachers make things so confusing, some say u can accelerate and others say u cant....

so how did u get to accedlerate in the first place

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
streetball said:
how can u accelerate in bio, coz i ask my teachers, and they say u have to do you SC first. But i know all the stuff in the yr11 bio course.

the teachers make things so confusing, some say u can accelerate and others say u cant....

In my school and most other selective schools you get chosen in yr 9 to sit the school certificate early and if u do well they accelerate you.

If your school has an accelerated bio class ask the teacher of the accelerated bio class to test you or consider accelerating you.

Last edited:

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
streetball said:

I'm pretty sure that you would have to persuade your teachers to let you accelerate the biology course, or you could always join a class who is already accelerating, or accelerate the entire prelim and HSC course in year 11.

Ankita

HSC
streetball said:

yeah...i do accelerated bio...we just got asked whether we wanted to do it and then they chose 17 ppl out of all the applicants depending on previous results

. Its actually good coz u get 2 units out of the way giving you more time on other subjects in yr 12....but one major drawback is that u dnt learn the yr 10 science course and i found it difficult to understand and study the course on my own in the holidays to be able to do the school certificate...i reckon i was kinda lucky that i got a band 6....

Make sure u get a good techer tho... with a hopeless bio teacher like mine its really not worth it...so make sure u find out who is teaching the course.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
After you do your SC, you should aim for doing at least 2 sciences of your choice; they will contribute to your prerequisite knowledge upon entering uni. So pay attention in science classes and do your homework, it will pay off when you get to the HSC course.

streetball

HSC
haha, u guys are lucky, ur teachers ask u to go advance, and actually have a proper class

i no most of the stuff in yr 10 n yr11 (not all but most)

but still teachers havnt given me the answer yet, its almost week 5

coolkoombaya

HSC
ha shiiiit, u ppl have acceleratted courses. are these selective or private high schools? or just normal public schools?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Most selective schools have accelerated classes, some private and normal government schools may have accelerated classes but ive never heard of a non-selective school which has accelerated classes.

Ankita

HSC
i go to a private school...doing accelerated bio
i was actually quite shocked when they asked us..coz i thought it was only selective schools who offered accelerated courses.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Wooz said:
Most selective schools have accelerated classes, some private and normal government schools may have accelerated classes but ive never heard of a non-selective school which has accelerated classes.
I go to a non-selective school, and doing accelerated extension 1 maths. There are non-selective schools that have accelerated classes, they are just less frequent than selective schools accelerating classes.

D

dzzlng_07

there are also selective schools which DONT have accelerated classes

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
SoulSearcher said:
I go to a non-selective school, and doing accelerated extension 1 maths. There are non-selective schools that have accelerated classes, they are just less frequent than selective schools accelerating classes.
Me three, 3u maths is all we've got I think. Some schools just have more variety in the subjects to accelerate in probably and some simply don't (as Dzzling_07 said), regardless of being govt, private or selective. But oh well, I'm no expert at this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)