What should i do? (Subjects) (1 Viewer)

ronny thamer

HSC
So I am a year 11 student sitting prelims and i am currently in term 2, week 3 and I was wondering what i should do in regards to my subjects. I currently am doing:

- Physics, Chemistry, English Adv, Legal Studies, Maths Adv, Maths Ext 1, and Engineering Studies.

I am currently happy with most of my subjects but in regards to Engineering Studies, although it has elements that are very similar to the Physics course, I don’t necessarily like the primary theory content from the modules. I was wondering if you think I could change subjects before prelims and dedicate some time to learn the content. I am trying to change to Modern History but with the copious amount of content, idk if my school will let me change. However, most of my friends have changed subjects late term 1, early term 2 with no significant repercussions. At my school, each subject has formal half yearlies that don’t go to our report but there is an exception for humanity subjects as there are none. Idk if i can change based on the reason the next modern assessment is in term 3/late term 2. If i could change this, I would probably drop Chem or legal in year 12 because of the intense workload and with the hardness of my other subjects but if not i would probably drop engineering. In regards to my report, I am first in my cohort in Engineering and 1st in Legal. If you have any comments, please reply.

Thanks.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Generally speaking, students may not be allowed to take new subjects at a later stage, although you should definitely contact your school to confirm whether this is the case. Assuming that you are allowed to change your subjects at this stage, you should consider the advantages and disadvantages of each potential option. The good thing about year 11 is that none of your results count towards your HSC results or ATAR, allowing you to experience a range of subjects and eventually determine the best subject combination as you approach year 12.

While a lack of interest in a subject can be a valid reason for wanting to drop it and try a different subject, you seem to be in a unique position given that you are ranked first in Engineering Studies. Here, you should consider whether it is worth dropping a subject where your performance is of a high standard (especially if you can maintain it throughout year 12) and instead take a completely different subject which would not only create additional workload but is also one where your performance potential is unknown. The same logic applies to Legal Studies, that is, can you justify dropping a subject that you are currently ranked first in?

I hope this helps! :D

ronny thamer

HSC
Generally speaking, students may not be allowed to take new subjects at a later stage, although you should definitely contact your school to confirm whether this is the case. Assuming that you are allowed to change your subjects at this stage, you should consider the advantages and disadvantages of each potential option. The good thing about year 11 is that none of your results count towards your HSC results or ATAR, allowing you to experience a range of subjects and eventually determine the best subject combination as you approach year 12.

While a lack of interest in a subject can be a valid reason for wanting to drop it and try a different subject, you seem to be in a unique position given that you are ranked first in Engineering Studies. Here, you should consider whether it is worth dropping a subject where your performance is of a high standard (especially if you can maintain it throughout year 12) and instead take a completely different subject which would not only create additional workload but is also one where your performance potential is unknown. The same logic applies to Legal Studies, that is, can you justify dropping a subject that you are currently ranked first in?

I hope this helps! :D
Thanks, I'll definitely contact my school tp make sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)