• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What should l do? (1 Viewer)

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
My school makes us do accelerated courses, so l'm doing accelerated Biology.

Our class has almost finished the Prelim course, but we have briefly started the hsc one. We have a lot of work to do for the prelim part before we finish it, plus in a couple of weeks (which is into the hsc course) we have the prelim exam.

I was wondering if l should put a lot of effort into this work we have to complete for prelim, and just forget about hsc for now, or not really put much effort in and do a scabby job.

Also with the exam, should l study my butt off or concentrate instead on the hsc course?

Thanks.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Originally posted by SpoRTsGaL
i am confused.
you're in year 12 and doing accelerated bio but you're only up to the prelim course? i don't understand.
Accelerated means that we do prelim and hsc in one year. We have almost finished the prelim course and we have just started the hsc one (so we finish the entire course prelim + hswc in one year, in time for the exams)

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
Originally posted by Misturi
Accelerated means that we do prelim and hsc in one year. We have almost finished the prelim course and we have just started the hsc one (so we finish the entire course prelim + hswc in one year, in time for the exams)
how is that accelerated.. that means that u didnt do prelim bio in yr 11 but ur in yr 12 NOW tryin 2 do both the prelim and the hsc course?

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Originally posted by queenie
how is that accelerated.. that means that u didnt do prelim bio in yr 11 but ur in yr 12 NOW tryin 2 do both the prelim and the hsc course?
l'm sorry but it is accelerated. think what you want.

I did prelim and hsc chem last year, this year l'm doing prelim + hsc hospo and bio

KarmaKitten

HSC
Umm
thats not accellerated
accellerated is doing the hsc course in year 11. as far as i know

what you are talking about is what they do in tafe etc

ZeGoat

brown!
HSC
hmmm........ i always thought accelerated was when you did the course in the normal length of time but at an earlier stage in your school life....... isnt there a minimum amount of hours that need to be completed as well.......

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Well we call it accelerated. Its going ahead in the sence that we do 2 exams for the hsc in one year and 4 in the next. We call it focus studies.

Anyways thats not the point, the point is what should l do about my problem?

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Originally posted by SpoRTsGaL
umm. sorta makes sense... i guess.
but why so hectic? why didn't you just do prelim for all your subjects last year and hsc for all your subjects this year?
oh and the way we usually define accelerated is that a person does, say, prelim in year 10 and hsc in year 11. It's the first time I have heard of it being done the way you're saying. I guess you have more classes for bio and hospo then to cover everything.

moving on, i reckon you should go ahead of the class and write your own notes for each topic. With the help of the bos notes (e.g. timmy's stuff) and hsc.csu.edu.au, it will take you a couple of weeks to completely write the notes (except the experiment stuff)... er... i don't know what else you could do.
Ah l see. We call it accelerated.

Thanks for your help, but should l concentrate on the work we have left for prelim and the prelim exam or not?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
You should do something less confusing... i dunno about u. But the idea of having to do the prelim course mixed with the hsc... sounds kinda bad. The HSC, is very important... alot of the prelim does come thru onto the hsc, but is usually lightly covered on again in the hsc...

so yeaaa.. just focus on the hsc.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Originally posted by Not-That-Bright
You should do something less confusing... i dunno about u. But the idea of having to do the prelim course mixed with the hsc... sounds kinda bad. The HSC, is very important... alot of the prelim does come thru onto the hsc, but is usually lightly covered on again in the hsc...

so yeaaa.. just focus on the hsc.
Thanks very much.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
The prelim course:
- cannot be tested in the HSC
- does not contribute to the HSC
All it does is create some basic concepts to build upon, so just focus on HSC.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Originally posted by Calculon
The prelim course:
- cannot be tested in the HSC
- does not contribute to the HSC
All it does is create some basic concepts to build upon, so just focus on HSC.
Thanks Justin. I had this problem last year, but with chemistry. I focused too much on the prelim part instead of the hsc (which we were doing at the same time at one point) and l think thats one of the reasons why l fell behind. The only problem is that my parents want me to go really well in prelim as well, and no matter what l tell them, that prelim doens't count or matter, they still don't care.

Oh well..

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Misturi
Thanks Justin. I had this problem last year, but with chemistry. I focused too much on the prelim part instead of the hsc (which we were doing at the same time at one point) and l think thats one of the reasons why l fell behind. The only problem is that my parents want me to go really well in prelim as well, and no matter what l tell them, that prelim doens't count or matter, they still don't care.

Oh well..
Tell your parents that they don't count or matter:p But seriously by this stage you should be doing it for yourself and not for praise or criticism of others (ie parents).

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Originally posted by Calculon
Tell your parents that they don't count or matter:p But seriously by this stage you should be doing it for yourself and not for praise or criticism of others (ie parents).
I understand what you mean but l am doing it for myself, its just that l want my parents to be happy. I have this thing that when my parents are angry its always my fault...

But anyways, thanks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)