What style are you using (1 Viewer)

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
What style are you using for your short story. Is it first person / third person, Is it past, present or future tense, the theme maybe or the plot, things like that...

Be as in depth as you like. Of course if you ain't too trusitng then don't say anything more than you want...

I just figured we needed a thread like this because the room was so barren...

clerisy

HSC
Mine is in third person narration, because I have never been able to write properly in first (I tried, at the start, but it ended up reading like a diary entry). But it's a very limited narrator, who pretty much knows only one character's mind and perceptions at a time.

Past tense.

There's no real plot to speak of. Main characters meet, they stare, they think. It was supposed to be an exploration of character and perception and identity, but (believe it or not) it's actually quite dull. I'm working on spicing up the action a bit..

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I prefer first person myself, and have always loved empathy tasks. Though I do often write in third person simply because it's too hard to tell some stories from only one person's perspective.
You should always write in a way which makes you feel comfortable...

Llyrai

My Beast?? 48/50 !!!
HSC
I seem to be doing a combination of both 1st and 3rd person. Ive even got a line that is obviously second person in it. My mw has a very post-modernist style too it. So i suppose that accounts for soemthing. Im trying to make that character jump out of the page and, and, anD...

Ive always had trouble with tense, so im not..to..sure... LOL

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Fully developed characters sometimes make the story. I've read books with shit plot lines that I liked because of the characters.

I want to create characters that the audience will react to as I want. I want to make the audience feel for my characters.

Ah well, least I feel sorry for what I put my protagonist through, guess it's start.

HSC
N/A
First person narration (several different characters though), and phasing in and out of present and past tense.

vicburke

Capt. Schneider Bandwagon
HSC
im doing 2 first person narratives - to show the characters thoughts and to create empathy etc....
my other story is a third person narrative.
all three stories are sent in present tense. my character is observing more than acting.

Red Lady

Im trying to do third person, past tense.... but it is sorta changing between past and present. Its a bit stuffed at the moment.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Llyrai
I seem to be doing a combination of both 1st and 3rd person. Ive even got a line that is obviously second person in it. My mw has a very post-modernist style too it. So i suppose that accounts for soemthing. Im trying to make that character jump out of the page and, and, anD...

Ive always had trouble with tense, so im not..to..sure... LOL
sounds kinda like mine :)

except technically all mine were first person, or actually they were first second and third at the same time :D

*Flutterby*

mines really hard to understand i guess. the only indication at the moment of the different charachter's is that ive highlighted the colours of their thoughts in blue and pink. one for guy one for girl. its kinda hard and wen its typed i may have to just change the friggin font lol.

shoo

mines first and third. i've got like all different characters in different frameowrks and so they have to be different voice. my second story is in first all the way through- many diary entries

co+ca

mine is a combination of 3rd and 1st person, i have 4 main charcters and parts of my story are from each of their pov's. only one of these is in 1st person, and its as a journal entry. cliched i know, but it suits my purpose lol

zerzillia

third person, entirely!
past tense
a series of short stories (chapter like)
but non-linear in form
3 themes

one_second

first person, alternating from past and present tense, with occassional inserts of third person... if that makes sense.

pitted

HSC
N/A
first second and third person - same character, three times in three different realities over one day past and present tense.

idk what i was on lol

ciao

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)