What to do advice needed (1 Viewer)

Username456

HSC
I am a 20 year old uni student who got a 91.60 in the hsc in 2021 but currently has a wam of 59.6 having completed 15 subjects part time at UNSW in a bachelor of poltiics, philosophy and economics. Realised too late that the degree is quite useless. I spent a lot of time working rather than studying over the last 2 and a half years and didn’t have much of a motivation for the course but realised way too late that I needed to change and that my atar would only be considered valid by most institutions for 2 years after competition. Was looking to transfer courses to another institution but discouraged that universities would look more towards the uni marks than my atar. Interested in a bachelor of teaching but the ITP at unsw requires a 65 wam and I have no credits from my current subjects. Plus even if I were to go down that route the PPE subjects would stay on my academic record and I’d graduate uni in 4-5 years. Feeling so stupid as I had an atar that could’ve gotten me into so many high quality courses but now I’m utterly fucked in terms of my academic career. Any advice would be appreciated.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I am sorry to hear that. However, all is not lost. It would seem that you will likely need to extend your study duration if you wish to transfer. Of course, the time-efficient option would be to remain enrolled at UNSW and complete the Bachelor of Politics, Philosophy and Economics, although from your post, the career prospects do not seem promising.

It is important to note that while your WAM is low, it can likely still get you offers for degrees at other universities, although you may need to opt for some of the slightly lower-ranked universities. Of course, you could complete a year of full-time study at another university, then return to study your desired degree at UNSW, although this may also unnecessarily extend your study duration. Instead, you may simply wish to complete a Bachelor of Teaching/Education at another university. As far as I am aware, the university that you attend is not a significant factor for teaching. However, a potential problem with a Bachelor of Teaching/Education is that it is typically a 4-year degree, which would also unnecessarily extend your study duration.

I think that a reasonable park would involve completing the Bachelor of Politics, Philosophy and Economics, and then studying a Master of Teaching instead of a Bachelor of Teaching/Education. This would allow you to become a teacher while limiting the additional time that you would need to study at university (since the Master of Teaching is a 2-year degree).

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)