• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What to study? (1 Viewer)

Rhuumz

HSC
Hey all,

I was hoping to gain some guidance here on what avenue might be best to study.

My situation is this I currently manage a Large fitness brand gym with 45 staff, I acquired this position by my experience in the industry not my education and now I fear that to start moving towards those higher rungs I am going to need some accreditation behind me for more senior management roles.

I have always been very successful in my job and my results speak for themselves. I am more interested in the sales/ops aspect of management as I find that comes natural to me.

So my question is what avenue should I look to study? I wouldn't have a clue on what my first steps are? MBA?

Any help is much appreciated!

sghguos

HSC
N/A
I would highly recommend the bachelor of business and commerce at UWS majoring in marketing and management

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
His hsc is in 1998 meaning hes been in the workforce for over 10years. So doing a bachelor is a poor option, but the marketing and management major seems about right.

I would say apply for the master of commerce if you're fine with doing some introductory finance and things. If specifically into sales probably master of marketing/ org behaviour or management. Though some unis might get you to do a PG diploma first, so research beforehand.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey all,

I was hoping to gain some guidance here on what avenue might be best to study.

My situation is this I currently manage a Large fitness brand gym with 45 staff, I acquired this position by my experience in the industry not my education and now I fear that to start moving towards those higher rungs I am going to need some accreditation behind me for more senior management roles.

I have always been very successful in my job and my results speak for themselves. I am more interested in the sales/ops aspect of management as I find that comes natural to me.

So my question is what avenue should I look to study? I wouldn't have a clue on what my first steps are? MBA?

Any help is much appreciated!
Great post- and I think a lot of us probably aren't in the best position to answer this!

My first question to you is, what experience/knowledge do you have already and where do you think you need to develop? I'd challenge even whether or not university is the right answer because whilst as a manager, you'll probably need an appreciation of finance and how the data works (and limitations in the data), you probably won't get this from doing a straight bachelor degree. On the other hand, an MBA might be overkill. There are options such as specific manager training courses, TAFE courses on accounting/running a business (which is presumably the direction you're headed- i.e. the actual how to for running and managing a business), and lots and lots of self help books you can read.

I myself am a manager in my company and have been through several internal/external training programs on everything e.g. sales, managing clients, managing teams, challenging conversations, coaching/developing others, budgeting/forecasting, managing job economics, etc.... and can appreciate that there's a lot of facets of being a manager which definitely aren't taught at university.

If you have time, maybe try doing the VIA signature strengths survey (also known as the VIA survey of character strengths)? It takes about half an hour with like 200+ multiple choice questions. Feels a bit waffly but it's surprisingly insightful in terms of which areas you might want to consider focussing on developing. It comes up with 24 different categories of strengths that you can work on or play to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)