• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What volenteer stuff do you do? (1 Viewer)

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
try red sheold appeal, red cross calling, ummmm, yerh thats all i got

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i volunteer for 5 hrs every monday with an organisation in my area that deals with the elderly and disabled, basically we go to the day centre and keep them entertained for a few hrs.

mack

Banned
HSC
Volunteering for the SES would look pretty impressive. But im not sure how long it takes......

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
go ask your school about volunteer work - it's not too late yet!
try calling your red cross office and asking if you can be a telecross volunteer
that's calling an elderly person everyday to check if they're still allright.
it only takes 5 minutes every morning, and it's not that hard

if you go to a catholic school, try volunteering in youth masses and stuff

if you're good at a subject, find a friend who's not and tutor them, and say you did peer tutorial :)

sunny

meh.
HSC
mack said:
Volunteering for the SES would look pretty impressive. But im not sure how long it takes......
That depends on which SES you're doing. I have a friend in the Kogarah SES. They have training and meetings every Tuesday night. He's been out on calls recently from the winds. I do St John Ambulance work.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Crikket said:
go ask your school about volunteer work - it's not too late yet!

if you go to a catholic school, try volunteering in youth masses and stuff

if you're good at a subject, find a friend who's not and tutor them, and say you did peer tutorial :)
You really should look beyond the post before you respond... Ac is at uni, and the thread was created in the university forum, too.

Writing down that you were involved in a badge selling day or that you just started volunteering with a community group would count for little... Some sort of commitment is what employers would like to see, and holding down a job for a long period is just as worthwhile as volunteering on a regular basis (only read past the ',' if you are currently working and only trying to flesh out a cv).

Last edited:

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
oopsies sorry :p
i thought he was someone trying to get into uni
oooh i see, class of '03, haha sorry :p

sunny

meh.
HSC
First you have to do a Senior First Aid course with St John. After that, you can join one of their operations branch divisions (I'm with University of Sydney, though theres lots around as well). Depending on the division, you might be given the St John uniform and a first aid kit. Some divisions give it to you after a probation period, others make you buy it.

Each division offers first aid duties to its members, and sometimes theres bigger duties as well that we go to....most recent (big) ones I went to were the Nickelback concert couple of months back, Australian Idol auditions, State of Origin 3 and the Bledisloe Cup that was on tonight...

Basically theres usually a first aid post at the place, and we just have to man it and help people if they get injured etc etc etc. Alot of the time, its nothing major, like people asking for panadol. And if nothing happens the entire night, it could get boring. But of course if its boring for us, it means no one is getting hurt, which is good :p

sunny

meh.
HSC
wakarimashita said:
sounds lik fun!! Nickelback concerts :) :) :)

how long does it take to do the Senior First Aid course?

Just one weekend :) Though it will set you back about $90. The USyd division is planning a Senior First Aid course to run in September or so. PM me if you're interested for more details, and I can give you some contacts of the organisers.

Ribbon

Check if your university has a students in free enterprise team (sife). Checkout sife.org and sifeaustralia.org. SIFE is a national competition where you make a team of volunteers from your uni and you go out and help people in the community by teaching them about entreprenureship, free enterprise ect. The competition motto is 'changing the world' because the idea is to get these teams happening worldwide (I think there are 30 or 40 countries represented at the world competition) and if each has 1 or 2 projects aimed at helping people alot of people are going to be helped .... that was the warm fuzzy bit... the bit that really works for you is that although you have to commit alot of time and effort, you get real practical business experience, and at the national competition there are 50 judges from high up in the business world that you can mingle with. I am not goin g to write all thier names down but some are:

Roger Corbett CEO Woolworths
Geoff Dixon CEO Quantas
David Edwards CEO committe for the EDA
Dennis Adams - National education manager of the national Institute of Accountants
Wayne Jones - Managing Director of Kimbery-Clark
Lorraine Murphey - Vice president human resource asiapacific region - campell coup company
Mark Payne - National Business Manager Coca Cola Amatil

Two of the judges at this years competition were also KPMG scrutineers. Two team members from the winning 2003 team got offered jobs with cadbury-shweppes because of thier involvement with sife.

I think something like 33 of the 40 or so aus unies were at the national comp this year - Its totally worthwhile and I think it looks alot better on your CV than working at a soup kitchen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)