• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What's a friend? (3 Viewers)

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
What's the definition of a friend?

As i look back, my own definition of a friend has changed dramatically.

I remember in primary when a 'friend' was just someone who hang out with you, someone who shared the same interests, or had a few things in common with. (could of even just been one thing, like playing soccer at lunch)

In primary I had about 15 of those 'friends' (from years 1-6)

In year 7-9, a friend was still someone who hang out with, sharing the same interests.
I had about 30-40 (my age) of these friends.

Now my definition has changed considerably.
those 30-40 'friends' have become more like acquaintances than friends.

I now feel that in my high school, i only have around 3 real friends. (most of my 'real friends' are in uni)

Is it because i'm alot more mature than my peers?
these 'friendships' isn't just about common interests/hobbies,
but emotional, intimate, real relationships?

relationships where you talk about your upbringing, your family, your goals and ambitions, what you think of so and so, instead of talking about the 'drink up on the weekend'. 'who's going out with so and so, breakups, hook ups, etc'

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
nah i think that's normal, i have two people who i call my best friends, who have been so since year 2/5, and my boyfriend who would be my closest friends, and they're the only people i really spend time with. everyone else's company seems so superficial. but maybe that's just me, and we can be odd together haha.

SMP213

HSC
yer, i have a few real friends... and i know what you mean about those friends oyu just have around you, they would be my definition of friend!
then i have good friends, great friends, and my best friend.
i dont know, maybe thats just me!:)

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
so do you guys think of them as merely acquaintances,
or 'friends, good friends, close friends',

etc.

I think a friend should at least be future-proofed a couple of years,
unless your in a foreign place where you know eventually you'll have to move away

SMP213

HSC
yeah, well my great/best friends are definitely people who i know are gonna be there with me in the future!

SMP213

HSC
well, im hoping me and my bestie are gonna be best friends forever, but who knows what will happen in the future!!
i dont know about my other friends, we'll have to see where life takes us i guess! :)

kawaiinlove

HSC
for how long?

5 years?
10 years?
my BEST friend, friend ive known the longest, who i can trust with just about anything and knows me better than i know myself, ive known for 12 years. my other best friend ive known for about for 4 years, we just get along perfectly coz we have similar interests and seem to be on the same page as eachother most of the time, if that makes sense.

SMP213

HSC
my BEST friend, friend ive known the longest, who i can trust with just about anything and knows me better than i know myself, ive known for 12 years. my other best friend ive known for about for 4 years, we just get along perfectly coz we have similar interests and seem to be on the same page as eachother most of the time, if that makes sense.
WOW, 12 years, thats such a long time..wish i had a best friend for that long!

SMP213

HSC
ok, random question..has anyone ever had a good friend for many years (12 years), but they never became great friends?

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
nahh.

no friends can be for life.
(maybe your spouse/family is the only exception)

different uni course, (different uni probably)
make new friends,
different career in different industry
make new friends
maybe you'll/they will move away,
make new friends
etc.

Good news is that as you get older those friends will probably be for life.
like your friends at 30-40 are pretty much your friends for life.

SMP213

HSC
nahh.

make new friends,
make new friends
make new friends
etc.

yer, i guess :(
but i dont want to think about that rite now.
atm, were together, and happy. she's my best friend...my unbiological sister! :)

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
nahh.

make new friends,
make new friends
make new friends
etc.

nah, friends can be for life, when you've been through certain things together, and you've gone away, stayed apart and still remained best friends for 12/8 years, you know they'll be there for life.

johony

HSC
ok, random question..has anyone ever had a good friend for many years (12 years), but they never became great friends?
i have long time friends which have floated in and out of my life over the past couple of years. i guess they're long lasting, but after 6-7 months we'd get completely sick of each other. benefit? perhaps.

HSC
N/A
i became best friends with my girl just last year... and she is undoubtably my sister for life =D my other girl, ive been best friends with her for 4 years now. they i consider my sisters. and also on the top of my list is my boyfriend =]

next on my list is great and childhood friends. another two girls whom i was besties with from kindergarten. high school separated us but we're still great friends.

next i have my group friends. those who i hang out with at school. =P "Saddle Club '09' " hehe. about 8 to 9 friends in a group. so friends hang out with in class, lunch, after school and during excursion etc.

and lastly the crowd... ther are some strays that come about that hang with us. our group call "leftovers" (those whos own friends are absent on a day of school and have no one else to hang with) ahah.

shady145

Banned
HSC
a friend is someone you can root
and if they the same sex as you? have some beers and get in a fight and they back u up? is that same sex friends or are same sex friends not called friends but competition lol?

nah i think a friend is some1 who has ur back, always lookin out for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)