• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What's an honours @ uni? (1 Viewer)

hotdimsim

HSC
its for high achieving students/a form of further study

-3 year degrees, you may get offered to stay on another year to achieve 'honours' on top of your degree.
-4 year degrees, its awarded based on academic merit. the better the marks, the better level of honours awarded to you. if you get shit marks, you dont even get awarded honours.

izzy88

HSC
It depends on the degree/university. But it is generally an extra year (not compulsory) after completion of a bachelor degree ie. 4th year is 'honours' year. An Honours year is generally completed if you want to go on to postgraduate study or just want to further your study in a particular area.

Again, it depends on the degree, but you would usually complete a research thesis of somewhere between 12-20,000 words as well as some coursework units.

However for some degrees honours is just awarded based on calculation of average marks over your degree (ie. for law at usyd, honours is awarded if you get an average of over 75 over the course of the law degree).

You then come out with a Bachelor of ____ (Honours) instead of just Bachelor ___.

Hope that helps.

rx34

HSC
Hey was wondering whether anyone could help me out on this. I wish to practise law overseas, but the country I wish to apply to states that I have to be top 30% of my cohort (at least 2nd lower honours). What grades do I need to get? Hopefully I will be doing combined law in USyd, ANU or Monash.

Currently my GPA for first year commerce (doing a single degree) is 6.25, WAM is 79.50.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)