• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

whats commerce like? (1 Viewer)

meew

HSC
im currently in biomed engineering, but not really liking the biology.. so im thinking of changing to another field.. or another option is commerce...

whats it like?
im pretty much into maths.. still dont really know what i wana do but a business career sounds interesting...

i did drop out of year 11 accounting because i thought it was kinda boring..

is all commerce like accounting?

what are the more maths based commerce careers?

do commerce or engineering jobs get more money?

the only things i want in a job are lots of money and something interesting and not biology.

help appreciated!!

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Lots of money? :S

If you want that then deal drugs!

Work is for sukaass...

Just drop in some commerce lectures for free. If the content interests you then change.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
maths based commerce is basically actuary.

engos probably are paid more than commerce grads.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
meew said:
im currently in biomed engineering, but not really liking the biology.. so im thinking of changing to another field.. or another option is commerce...

whats it like?
im pretty much into maths.. still dont really know what i wana do but a business career sounds interesting...

i did drop out of year 11 accounting because i thought it was kinda boring..

is all commerce like accounting?

what are the more maths based commerce careers?

do commerce or engineering jobs get more money?

the only things i want in a job are lots of money and something interesting and not biology.

help appreciated!!
I'm in Commerce.
Involves maths. I'm talking THE REAL maths. That is, adding, subtracting and multiplying and dividing not this integration and other 3u/4u maths crap.

Otherwise there are subjects like Economics that are mainly theory-based whereas accounting just requires a bit of attention and practice and trial and error. Both of them aren't that bad. They do involve lots of calculations but not too much in Economics.

Commerce has its core units and different majors...
-Accounting
-Economics
-Marketing
-Business Stats
-Business Info. Systems

I have a magazine that compares weekly earnings of Australians.....

Biomedical Engineer ~$1050

jobs for those with Commerce degrees...
Accountants ~$1150
Financial Dealers and Brokers ~$970
Human Resources Managers ~$1300
Marketing Professional ~$900

Are these accurate??

Anyways, I wish you all the best!

meew

HSC
thanks for the replies ppls

Sparcod said:
I have a magazine that compares weekly earnings of Australians.....

Biomedical Engineer ~$1050

jobs for those with Commerce degrees...
Accountants ~$1150
Financial Dealers and Brokers ~$970
Human Resources Managers ~$1300
Marketing Professional ~$900

Are these accurate??

Anyways, I wish you all the best!
thnx for the earnings, could u please post the earnings for mechanical, civil and electrical engineering?

HSC
meew said:
thanks for the replies ppls

thnx for the earnings, could u please post the earnings for mechanical, civil and electrical engineering?
Does it matter what the earnings are? You complete your degree you're currently doing and you pretty much have a guaranteed job. You're the one who wants to get out and try your hand at commerce. I suggest less salary figures and more figuring out where your future lies.

meew

HSC
okiez....
yeahh im not gona base my career on earnings.. but im still interested in knowing.

im going to stay in my course for now.. possibly to the end if i like bio after a while.. i kinda feel like im over engineering after 4weeks.. but its alrightt.. i will like it soon.

also.. i thought there wasnt many jobs in biomedical engineering??

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Those earnings seem a bit low to me... Unless that includes low-tier versions of those professions.. eg. Tafe graduates -> book keeping for accounting?

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
^

Umm.. depends..

I'm pretty sure that a good mining engineering position is one of the highest paid professions for those relatively fresh out of uni.

They're def. closer to each other than say... Arts to Medicine is :p

HSC
Vagabond said:
Those earnings seem a bit low to me... Unless that includes low-tier versions of those professions.. eg. Tafe graduates -> book keeping for accounting?
They sound about 50K a year, which sounds about right for graduates.

Raginsheep

HSC
Sparcod said:
I'm in Commerce.
Involves maths. I'm talking THE REAL maths. That is, adding, subtracting and multiplying and dividing not this integration and other 3u/4u maths crap.

Otherwise there are subjects like Economics that are mainly theory-based whereas accounting just requires a bit of attention and practice and trial and error. Both of them aren't that bad. They do involve lots of calculations but not too much in Economics.

Commerce has its core units and different majors...
-Accounting
-Economics
-Marketing
-Business Stats
-Business Info. Systems
WTF dude, real maths is the integration and other 3u/4u maths crap and more.

Economics, can involve a fair bit of maths if your doing an Econometrics major. Other stuff like Accounting require very little maths.

In business, accounting would be more about the process not calculating how much your total expenses would be if u spent $5 and $6 last year. You'll do this in first year accounting courses though but in industry, most of it is done using software.

If you want serious money in commerce, either go Comm/Law for investment banking or a do maths such as finance+maths for a quant job.

Also keep in mind that alot of engs get commerce jobs because alot of commerce grads can't do real maths.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
To a large extent, I do agree.

Yeh, I do hear of engineering graduates getting into business and economics jobs. Sounds funny but does make some sense.

Thanks for clarifying it.

In regards to Meew's qustion, both engineering and commerce are mathsy.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
I was under the impression that it was the job candidates with sound communication skills that were in desperatly short supply in the Australian businessworld. When I look around in my tutorials for every person participating confidently in class discussion there's about 10 that say nothing for weeks and just scribble down notes... so I'm inclined to believe it.

It's also consistent with the big4 glass ceiling I've been hearing about!

Of course, this doesn't apply in engineering where the technical knowledge is crucial.... Or the extremely mathsy commerce roles like acturarial..

Raginsheep

HSC
Job canadidates with sound communication skills are needed in all industries, not just specific to the commerce fields.

Even in techy fields, if you can't communicate, verbally and in wirting effectively, then your technical fields are just going to be wasted.

As for the original poster, considered a combined eng/commerce?

HSC
N/A
Vagabond said:
I was under the impression that it was the job candidates with sound communication skills that were in desperatly short supply in the Australian businessworld. When I look around in my tutorials for every person participating confidently in class discussion there's about 10 that say nothing for weeks and just scribble down notes... so I'm inclined to believe it.

It's also consistent with the big4 glass ceiling I've been hearing about!

Of course, this doesn't apply in engineering where the technical knowledge is crucial.... Or the extremely mathsy commerce roles like acturarial..
So what is meant by sound communication skills and how does one improve on them in terms of what is desired in the business sense

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
A lot of students are just reserved... it doesn't mean they're poor communicators. As turtleface would attest to, people like Matt and Chris are reserved. I can tell you they've got offers from every single firm in Asia Pacific.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)