• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

whats the best way to study languages???? (1 Viewer)

2cool4school

hey everyone, this is my first post and its basically because since i have been doing all this study for my other subjects and whenever it come to french i dunno what to do!!!! soooo i thought that maybe some of u can give me a little bit of advice... we still got a while until languages come up... ok. im done. cheers

chepas

HSC
Immersion. Surround yourself in stuff so it gets you into the habit of thinking about it and stuff, almost to when you can think in it (!). Listening to as much as possible and trying to understand as much of it as you can etc.... Are you doing Beg or Continuers?

Anyway, now is basically the time where we know as much as we know, it's just a matter of pumping it out again. Sounds very cliché and generic but do questions, written responses, past papers to consolidate what we know into what BOS wants out of us in the exam

Revising vocab - there are threads in here that so far have stuff in it, along with some useful websites.

Listening/Comprehension - I made a thread that's probably really old now that has lots of listening links and sources on it and stuff shared by us so far. Things like Le Journal etc maybe jot down some notes of what you understand and make sense from it etc. Anything to get into a French brain and mod eof thinking.

Have a fish through some old stuf fon the French forum. There's bound to be a lot of resources and tips etc from people of years gone by.

This sounds really crap and basic, but yer... alll I can think of at the moment :rolleyes:

Chépas :D.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Languages are not cram subjects...studying is hard and depends on the exam
Reading - learn a lil vocab but dun stress u wil have a dictonary...learn how to use it well that is really important and know how to reconise ur verbs
Writing same as above but do pratice essays and know all verb forms well
Listening... practise makes perfect,,,watch french shows...serach the net for frencj audio files

twat*

my theory on languages is that you really can't study for them, they're not 'knowledge cramming' subjects like..economics or PD where you really just have to write billions of summaries and learn pages of notes (so I'm told?)...it's all about "you can or you can't" with languages and if you've been consistently learning all the way through school you'll be fine. you have all the knowledge there you just need to refresh your memory by reading, hearing lots and then if u must, do some practice writing questions. Ofcourse you can keep trying to improve if you want but it's not that vital I don't think. just be in the language zone on the day

haha my theory is based largely on the fact that I'm lazy as..but hey it's got me this far!

realisitcally I'll study a few days before the exam, just doing practice papers adn getting prepared i guess, i dunno, who cares english is in less than a week adn scheisse!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)