• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

whats the difference between engineering and engineering (space) in Usyd? (1 Viewer)

cheney31

HSC
i've been looking inside the UAC guide today
and have just noticed that in Usyd the normal mechatronics engineering cutoff is 93-ish while the other course called mechatronics engineering (space) which has a cutoff of 98.xx..
so my question is: whats the difference?
is the space one a more elite course. or a totally different course focusing the use of mechatronics in space (eg. satellite etc.) ? does any1 know about this?

thanks

DTFM

HSC
They are both pretty much the same, but the space one requires you to go into space in your third year.

doink

Clone
HSC
I do Mechanical (Space).

Basically you do everything that a Mechatronics student would do however you skip some of the knowledge which you dont really need (partial differential eqns etc) and add in space engineering subjects throughout 2-4th year.

You are qualified as a Mechatronic Engineer and you are able to work in the Space industry if you can find a job. In simplistic terms it is Rocket Science and since there are only 15 or so spots per degree (45 all up for space) the cut-off is alot higher.

You still get to choose electives in 4th year and you come out more qualified than a normal engineer in the same category.

Why do it? You can tell people you do rocket science and not be lying.

cheney31

HSC
doink said:
I do Mechanical (Space).

Basically you do everything that a Mechatronics student would do however you skip some of the knowledge which you dont really need (partial differential eqns etc) and add in space engineering subjects throughout 2-4th year.

You are qualified as a Mechatronic Engineer and you are able to work in the Space industry if you can find a job. In simplistic terms it is Rocket Science and since there are only 15 or so spots per degree (45 all up for space) the cut-off is alot higher.

You still get to choose electives in 4th year and you come out more qualified than a normal engineer in the same category.

Why do it? You can tell people you do rocket science and not be lying.

:uhhuh: thanks for clearing that up...
so u basically looking to work with NASA or something if u do space right?

LOL that sounds awsome but not really practical :lol:
it kills ur brain cell man ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)