When I got my first television set, I stopped caring about having close relationships (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
You'd be wondering why I posted that quote from Andy Warhol. I decided to select this quote for English for a task, and our AOS is personal journeys.

'When I got my first television set, I stopped caring about having close relationships' - Andy Warhol

Do you agree or disagree? Explain in as many words as you like. I need a few ideas. You can refer to todays technology such as the internet e.g. the internet occupies men about not thinking of having a close relationship. Focus on the quote ;) Your help is appreciated.

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Re: When I got my first television set, I stopped caring about having close relations

lol

StaceyK293920

HSC
Re: When I got my first television set, I stopped caring about having close relations

ari89 said:
Wat are you lolling at? Spam? I agree in reference to other technologies as you stated, especially with online gaming, coz I've had a few friend boys who are addicted to WoW and stuff and they never go out or have ever had a close relationship. So ya ;).

bored of sc

HSC
Nice quote. Here's my thoughts (I tried to write it in an english-smart way but I did use first person and opinion a fair bit). Oh! I agree with the quote that technology can stand in the way of more important things but I argued that this a vice.

"When I got my first television set, I stopped caring about having close relationships." This quote refers to the way technology can stand in the way of the more important things in life; as it suggests as soon as one purchases their first technological appliance, it becomes a priority, making one "stop caring about having close relationships." In many parts of the world today, technology dominates life. The internet, cars, television, I-pods, movies, ovens, house-appliances and the like are just some of the must haves in order to live a successful, advanced, up to date life. However, it is the above quote that reveals the potentially deleterious nature of such technology. Many people find themselves absorbed by technology, having to turn on the television every night or update their myspace account daily. Its an addiction, a lifestyle, a bad habit. When technology is put ahead of things like family and friends, this is a vice.

More random thought...
How can something that is man-made possible override the most paramount part of life; people? These days, it already has. Take this antedote for example. My sister wanted to talk to me. She was in her room about 5-10 meters away from me, but instead out coming out of her room to gain my attention or even yell me in; she rang our home phone in order to ask me to ask me a favour. This is not only indicative of the laziness technology can forge but it also reflects the idea of technology as a dependence, like water or food. This philopsophy is one that should be changed. People should NEVER prioritise a myspace comment before a chat with a family member, one should never drive down the street if they could walk and a person should never stop "caring about having close relationships," no matter how good their "television set" may be.

Okay, if you managed to get through that waffle, I hope it made sense and was worthwhile. I really like that quote and feel strongly about it.
Oh! This idea was especially present in a debate I did at school in grade 8. The topic was "that technology is the way forward." My team were negative and we won the debate. I can't really remember the teamline, but our arguments emphasised the fact that materialism should not be put before family, friends etc. Um, yeah, good luck with your studies, sounds like an interesting concept!!

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
I owe you one boredofsc. Thanks for that :D even though I already handed it in lol. I posted my notes up on the English Advanced section for others. Have a look if you want. Thanks again.

freaky.styly

HSC
Razizi said:
You'd be wondering why I posted that quote from Andy Warhol. I decided to select this quote for English for a task, and our AOS is personal journeys. quote]

. son, thats why u shouldve picked two quotes like i did. that way u can compare and contrast them. it just gives u more material to work with. are u doing advanced btw? in Au's class right. any gud?
extensions pretty mad. we just sit around eating and talking, unlike certain 7:20am maths extension people lol

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
freaky.styly said:
Razizi said:
You'd be wondering why I posted that quote from Andy Warhol. I decided to select this quote for English for a task, and our AOS is personal journeys. quote]

. son, thats why u shouldve picked two quotes like i did. that way u can compare and contrast them. it just gives u more material to work with. are u doing advanced btw? in Au's class right. any gud?
extensions pretty mad. we just sit around eating and talking, unlike certain 7:20am maths extension people lol
Jeremy, your up and posting :D. Great to see. Yeah English is alright man, Au's pretty good. But waking up 7:20am in the morning for maths is no fun :(. Ah, english extension sounds fun. Oh well lol.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
sikhman said:
you have morning classes for maths extension? our extension maths and english classes are in the timetable lol and I still have frees....
:burn:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)