• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

when to meet ure gf's parents? (1 Viewer)

I

ignition

My gf's parents are asian and i feel quite uncomfortable meeting her parents because a) her parents dont know that my gf has a bf and b) they dont exactly sound lyk they would forgive us lol.

wat should i do :(

HSC
ignition said:
My gf's parents are asian and i feel quite uncomfortable meeting her parents because a) her parents dont know that my gf has a bf and b) they dont exactly sound lyk they would forgive us lol.

Doesn't really sound like an ideal situation to me. It seems a bit wrong that your girlfriend's parents don't know about her having a boyfriend. I guess this is a result of her feeling unable to tell them, but it still seems a bit sad that they're not close enough to discuss things like this. Still, I guess everyone handles things like that differently. I guess another factor to consider might be how long you've been going out, if it hasn't been very long at all then I guess this isn't too much of an issue at this stage, but if it's an elongated relationship and they still haven't been filled in, then I'd be a little concerned.

If they don't know about you, it'd probably be advisable for you to meet them after they found out. Finding out that she has a boyfriend will (possibly) be a bit of a surprise, and meeting him at the same time probably isn't useful.

That said, if you're serious about being accepted by them, I'd always advocate being upfront and meeting them as soon as is possible (and realistic). If I were a parent, I'd be far more inclined to trust my child's partner if they were willing to meet me and talk to me about things. If I got the impression that they were avoiding me, I'd doubt their motives, and would think of it as being a bit disrespectful. Not to say that you have to meet them after the first date or anything, just relatively early on. Maybe that's a bit old fashioned, I don't know, but that's how I see it.

And in response to them sounding like they wouldn't be forgiving, I suspect that may be a defence mechanism employed by parents to delay their children from entering into relationships for as long as possible. I've found that in my experience, once they're filled in that things are happening, they generally get used to it, although I guess this too may vary depending on cultural influences and such. From what I've seen, most parents (One would hope) only want their children to be safe and happy, and providing that they are satisfied that these conditions are met, there aren't too many reasons for them to interfere.

Whoops, post looks a bit long but I don't feel like trimming. Hope it makes sense and is useful, and my apologies if I sound like I'm judging, definitely not my intention.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
How 'asian' are her parents? In the sense that.. well, how comfortable are they with her daughter going out with friends, or going out by herself, or having a job? Being asian I know that asian parents can be quite strict (except on my capitalising the 'a' in 'asian') and if you know how lenient they'll be on her you can probably judge their reaction when you meet them..

As zergy said, make sure your gf tells her parents about you before you come over - not that you're her boyfriend but that you're just her 'friend'. Get used to not being a boyfriend until you're about 30 :p and definitely don't take it out on your girl. But if she refuses to tell her parents about you then I'd question how serious she is about your relationship..

Also always be polite to her parents, always say hello, always call them Mr/Mrs, always say goodbye, it helps if you offer to wash up after dinner too ;) And never badmouth them to your girlfriend because she'll feel torn between loyalty to you and them.

Excuse my very generalised asian statements :)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Yep, as others said, make sure your girlfriend tells them first.

Or you'll wind up like my boyfriend who gets ignored, even when he buys presents for the parents.... just begging to be accepted...

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Be upfront about it, if they don't like it - there's not much they can do. If they get used to it, all the better.

I

ignition

yea she isnt really allowed out heaps and tonnes of restrictions. Her parents are v. strict asian parents, so yea :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Jase

HSC
that's not true. people elope all the time ...

anyway,
Involving her parents means it's her war more than it is your war. she's gonna have to convince them somehow and earn their trust and make them trust you. the only thing you can do is improve yourself to present to her parents. like a walking talking resume.

How are your grades? your prospects..
you could also get your parents to talk with her parents.. are you both the same nationality? that works doubly good

GSTARRAW

ignition said:

Simple, Don't meet em dude!! Fuck the parents off, that shit comes in the mid 20's unless you generally love the girl which if this is the case, eekkk 3/4 of your life down the drain... Girlfriends suck - simple. Unless they're givers!!!

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
No way, if you have to have a secret relationship for that long.. phwoar.

Besides parents can be very, very, useful sometimes.. *whistles*

alby

cool duckie
HSC
im in a similar situation to ignition......
my bf's asian
im his 1st gf & his parents dont know anything about it
he doesnt live at home atm (moving back in sometime soon), but sees his folks almost daily
he met my mum yesterday...she's known about him for a bit though
been together for 3mths

i dont mind if i dont meet them for a bit....but its still kinda weird

pinkblinkbarbie

seduce me
HSC
let your girlfriend tell her parents first like everyone has said...it would be way awkward if you turned up at their house and they asked you who you were "im (name's) boyfriend", they'd be like "her WHAT?!" and you may never see her again.....maybe...
but anyway, i dont know how a real relationship can go without meeting that persons parents...me and my boyfriend always sleep over at each others houses and if we have nothing to do, we bum around at either one of our places...i met his parents a few hours before we started dating and he met mine a few days after..

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
if you're asian and she's asian that one obstacle cleared, if she's still in high school i wouldn't advise you to tell her parents you're dating her. If she's in uni however, generally it'd be a lot easier.

Generally.

Skeeta

HSC
meet them but not as her "bf" if you know what i mean?

if you say you are just friends they will generally trust you a bit more to start with i think.. im not asian but im jus sayin thats the way it usually is... if you get them on your side and they end up liking you then you can probably say you are together

take it slow

santaslayer

HSC
ehm, most asian parents are quite nice when it comes to meeting the boyfriend but u'll always get the ones who are constantly on ur case, asking questions which have no immediate and direct impact on ur relationship with their wittle gurl...

like:

how r ur grades?
what do u plan to do in the future?
how r u going to earn enuff to keep my daughter comfortable for the rest of her life?
i heard ur results don't compare with my daughters?
how much do u think ull earn by 30?

LoLz..:p

but when it comes to the girl meeting the guy's parents...then its easy, all girls get it easy from the guy's parents...so lucky...:p

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
hahaha yeah. my dad calls BOTH my sister's and my partners "your friend" for the first 3-4 mths.. like they dont have a name. they get a little put off but if you say their name enough it sinks in :p

pinkblinkbarbie

seduce me
HSC
lol im not asian and my mum did that! for like 4 months she introduced my boyfriend to everyone as my friend! but from the very start of me dating my boyfriend, thats what my dad always introduced him as...weird...but whoever mum introduced him to as "my friend" always like referred to him as my boyfriend anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)