• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Where do I start to learn Japanese? (1 Viewer)

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Yeah so I have befriended a few exchange students from Japan (a whole group in fact) and, with always having had an interest in Japanese, I figure now is a great time to seriously take on learning another language.

My friends teach me a few words here and there, but I (ultimately) want to be able to hold a conversation with them,or if not, at least understand and comprehend what they are talking about between themselves.

So saving myself from trying to recall how I started off in compulsory Japanese classes in Year 8, where would you suggest I start? Sentence structures? Books? Single words? This is going to be a challenge, on top of my course im already doing, but is this doable by myself (with help from friends to further learn from)?

P

pLuvia

Learn the hiragana, katakana first. Then sentence structure, which would lead to also learning new vocabulary. Japanese is also about speaking so you should speak with your japanese friends and listen to what they say.
If you want to learn, a good way is to get the "Wakatta" book or "Mirai" book, they are used in high school and are pretty good.

Or maybe you can learn it at TAFE?

Good luck

kouri

well w t f
HSC
Yeh I guess you could go to classes or textbooks.

Also depends on how you learn as a person as well :)

I can't learn anything from textbooks ^^; ... well. maybe. or I'd forget after reading it.

But hey, the best way to learn would probably be to go to Japan, live there for a year and woah you're fluent. haha

Learn the basics first, textbooks, watch j-dramas, anime, and talk to your friends in japanese. :)

theres a japanese grammar dictionary, beginners and intermediate...
its . green. But i think the definitions are pretty good :) and it has most of the structures that you should know and would come across. good ref book.
its usually a "recommend to buy" book from UNSW jap classes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)