• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

where to get french mags (1 Viewer)

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
You mean like "chez nous?" and the ones they make for school students?

Or do you mean actual French magazines...

Our school gets both, we have lots of old Paris-Match ones lying around; your school should have some

chepas

HSC
You can get them in the city, but of course, inflated imported price. You can get French Cosmo, French "Elle" and some other ones that are a bit younger like "Cleo" style. Some places that carry them are:

- Borders, Pitt St - though mostly just reaaaly old "Le Monde's" and crappy magazines in French about houses.

- "Newslink" newsagent place at Town Hall Station, near the basement entrance of the Woolies Metro. I find this one has the biggest stock of mags in foreign languages, so this might be your best shot.

- Alliance Française, 257 Clarence St, two streets west of the QVB. They have TONNES. Acutally, I lie - the AF has everything under the sun , and they could help you get some in if they don't have it. They aren't the Franco cultural exchange thingo for nothing! I suggest you start here I think. It shall be your utopia.

I suppose that the 'teenager' ones you meant Cleo etc, and not the learn-french ones like 'Chez nous' etc that can be really dry, 3rd one read?

Some pointers about magazine titles:

Point de vue/Paris Match - sorta Woman's Day/New Idea style. Full of monarchies and other kind of goss type stuff

Le point/L'Express - intellectual ones like 'Time'

omg_a

HSC
an excellent french magazine for french people, 15-25 is Phosphore. it's a mix of culture, movies, music, books, current affairs, politics, helth issues affecting youth etc. there is no australian equivalent, but it is very good. ask your school library to take out a subscription (that's what ours does) or you can yourself but it's pretty expensive.
here's the website:
http://www.phosphore.com/index.jsp

chepas

HSC
Of course, Phosphore!!! That mag is excellent. A subscription is actually on my Christmas list :D.... I can't remember if the AF stocked them though...

There was this really sad kid's magazine whose name I forget, it was just so horrible I doubt a kid would actually read it... absolutely argh.

melsc, I'm having the biggest brain explosion. You're in Syd yeah? Cos otherwise I just gave you a whole list of useless places to by them if you're not, so sorry!

There was an interesting article in 'L'Express' this month (or the latest one I read in Borders hehe) that was about the Australian election. It was really fascinating hearing about it through a foreigner's eyes.

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
It was only the other day that I had the urge to buy a french mag. I think I ended up getting the french Cosmo, full of intellectual *hack* material such as "Actor or Singer- Which guy to Choose?" HAHAHA! It's fun! I takes me twice as long to read as an Aussie one. Mainly 'cause it's harder to skim over and still get the general gist.

I've never really looked into the whole "French Mag" thing. But there was a pretty limited choice up at Borders-Hornsby, I think it was either Cosmo or Point de Vue.

chepas

HSC
Yep - that's it. It screws with you're brain completely.... I knew you didn't live in Procrastinatorsville :rolleyes:.

Border's Hornsby? Ah k... the last time I was there they had almost nothing. I spose it varies on what day you're there though.

chepas

HSC
melsc tried to PM you but you have it turned off :p

If you're interested I can send you a Phosphore that I have from 2001? It's a bit old but still good for reading, and you can try before you buy type of thing... It would be good for me cos I am dieing to clear out my room for our moving house in about a month so the less crap that actually goes in the bin and to someone who might find it useful, the better ;)

Cheers,
chépas :D.

chepas

HSC
Hahahahahaahahjahah! Sick lawyer powers... The only way I could convince my school to do that was to maybe get them some good publicity, which is lacking. You must be a rather fascinating yet terrifying person to meet :D. Nah c'est méchant ça :rolleyes:

Alors. If anyone still wants this Phosphore, it's yours! I'll throw in a Chez nous for good measure. I am so desperate to find a good home for my franco things, so that they don't go to waste. I might have a Spring Clearance after the HSC...

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
chepas said:
The only way I could convince my school to do that was to maybe get them some good publicity, which is lacking.
Hmm ouais.. Marsden High..quoi?:D Est-ce que ton lycée a construit par John Marsden...? Et ou` est-il?

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
Ah, j'ai un autre question ^^
J'ai essayé a` enregistrer sur le site de Phosphore, mais j'ai reçoit cet message:
Votre numéro d'abonné se trouve dans la série de 28 caractères figurant sur le film d'emballage du magazine. Votre numéro figure au-dessus de vos nom et adresse. Dans la partie surlignée sur l'exemple ci-dessous figure votre numéro d'abonné

S'il y a quelqu'un qui a un "numero d'abonné", peut-tu le m'offres?
merci :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)